This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Movies 2017

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GaryMc, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

You and I have very different definitions of a feel good factor when I comes to movies considering the last 50 minutes is literally people being graphically blown up, shot, impaled and set on fire. o_O

vodkacolly likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Ah come on now, there was definitely a feel good factor in the chap up on the top of the ridge by himself with no gun running around and bringing all his wounded buddies back to camp.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I actually thought they went OTT on that bit to be honest mate, I know they were trying to convey a true story but they could have just written it into the script to have one of his fellow solidiers talking about how many he saved the next morning or something...

4. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Watched John Wick 2 at the weekend. If you enjoyed the first one, you will enjoy this. I did, he's some man to kill.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's only my opinion but I thought that it was the whole point of the movie so skipping over it would have left it as a rather bland recanting of the battle of Okinawa. It was to tell the story of the first conscientious observer to ever receive the medal of honour and that was the reason he got it.

6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Gold- Good film about the lads going mining in Indonesia for Gold. Enjoyable film and based on true events also.

7. Redpip

Redpip
    Expand Collapse
    A Red since 02/09/1978!

The Great Wall...meh!...good special effects but the story could have been better...quite linear!

8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I understand that and agree with the principal of telling the story, I was talking about the scene where it just shows him going back and forth about twnety times over the course of the night, carrying lads and lowering them on the rope ... that was OTT imho (three or four max would have done just fine, then deal with as I suggested above).

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Watched Southpaw there tonight and thought it was very good, nothing too exceptional about it or the plot line but it was a good watch none the less. I really like Jake Gyllenhall as an actor.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

He is quality, if you have not seen it check our Nightcrawler with him in it

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Haven't seen it, I'll check it out later. Had confused it with end of watch when I saw your post first, another of his finest.

12. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Lion 8/10

it had the wife in tears at one point, but very good movie.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Tried to watch a few times however first, 15 minutes all in Indian and no subtitles

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Can't recall exactly how long but there's a few minutes at the start all in Indian alright - spaced out though and nothing important to the storyline. Don't give up on it (assuming you are actually watching an English language version of the movie) ;)

15. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Not today or Yesterday however watched the 'The Great Raid' at the weekend and thought it was a very good film. A young James Franco in it

16. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

Saw Logan 9/10. Arguably the best X-Men movie along with X2 and a fitting way for the character to go out who for my money is the greatest comic book character to hit the big screen and Fox would be crazy to touch the character again without Jackman. The only thing about the movie that annoyed me was it took 9 films for them to let the character finally be the potty mouthed human slicing/dicing and impaling machine in the comics and how great earlier movies could have been had the studio the balls to take the leash off. But with Deadpool making a fortune and Logan clocking up $240m worldwide in 4 days 'hopefully' this has shown studios there is an adult audience out there for these films.

elvis likes this.
  17. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

There should be subtitles on it mate, either find yourself a copy with the English Subs hardcoded, or download the subs yourself you can use them in VLC, Kodi etc, really easy to do. Subs only last about 15mins in that movie and then it switches to English, so you can turn them off at that point then.

Nocturnal Animals is good too with him in it.

If you like him give Nocturnal Animals a go.

GaryMc likes this.
  18. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Watched Assasin's Creed recently, it was meh. I'd give it a 5.5/10

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Disappointed to hear that, but in truth not really surprised.... a shame, as have not heard great reports about the great wall either and was hoping at least one of those two would be very good.

20. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Same on Great Wall, I've been looking forward to seeing it, only I can't find a decent copy. That's when I found Assassin's Creed (I had completely forgot it came out), so I was excited to see it in HD and went ahead and watched it. I'm delighted that I didn't have to pay to see it to be honest.

I watched Jack Reacher: Never Go Back as well, solid action movie in line with the first one. It'd get a 7/10 if it wasn't for Tom Cruise. So I'll give it a 6.5/10. If you like action movies it's defo worth a watch.

Garrett likes this.