This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Tuam Babies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bobby benitez, Mar 5, 2017.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Am I missing something here? Hundreds of babies and toddlers discovered fucked into the sewers and its 3rd and 4th story on the news. No mention of it on here that I can see.

Regardless of age or health dozens of people need to go to and die in jail for this.

Brendinho likes this.
  2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't there another case like this a while ago and it just faded away again?
    Nothing will be done, Catholic Ireland is alive and well.

3. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

This is an awful story.
    From a family that has 2 step uncles from a home like that
    A wife that her dad who was rescued
    An aunt who went down that way
    It is very sore and close to the bone.

4. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

The impression I got the first time they found a mass grave a few years back, was that Irish people were ashamed of it and didn't really talk about it or discuss it in-depth. There was an attitude of "Ah that's terrible" and then carrying on without mentioning it again. The foreigners I worked with at the time talked about it more and seemed more shocked than the Irish.
    Not sure why the media doesn't give it the attention it deserves. Again it could be shame or they could be aware of the publics attitude and seeming lack of interest in the story.
    Heartbreaking and truly despicable stuff went on
    and those that were guilty are pure evil in my eyes.

5. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It's a truely shocking story that was flagged by a local amateur archaeologist a few years ago which led to the Official publication this week. It's unimaginable that such a gory and horrific practice of "disposal" of human remains could occur, it reminds me of the Killing Fields.

I was reluctant to start a thread on it as it's something so far removed from why I log onto our site to discuss. I couldn't even explain it to my kids, I just gave them an article on it as I'm ashamed that people in my country could do something like this.

What is unfantomably is that no one ever said a word about it. The bodies date from 1925-1955 or there abouts so that's a long time to be dumping bodies and no one ever saying a word. The members of the order "running" the home along with any "lay" people (gardeners etc.), anyone involved are evil. I guess very few are alive today so there's little justice in this.

Finally, this cannot be the only mass grave to be uncovered, I fear.

6. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

This could be the one you mention as it was reported before but until the excavations were undertaken in late 2016 there was no confirmation.

vodkacolly likes this.
  7. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think that whether you leave the word Catholic in or out of your comment, the people of Ireland should make sure that this story stays with us.

8. sully&Red

sully&Red
    Expand Collapse

Catholic church, the most disgraceful thing on this island. I fear this is only the start and more graves will be found with further investigations.

MR KING KENNY likes this.
  9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Horrendous and a stain on this country but is it only me that finds it strange that Garda corruption is now no longer being discussed in the dail or the media?

10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

If this is just one of these homes... are there thousands, tens of thousands around the country? I find it hard to comprehend. But I think we also need to take a long hard look at ourselves, laying this ALL at the churches feet. Yes, the church had huge influence. But who took these women out of their homes, shunned them, abandoned them in these places? Their fathers, mothers, siblings. A national disgrace. What justification is there that your embarrassment/shame/fear of gossip would overcome your love for your daughter/sister? The whole of society was complicit in this, these women were not kidnapped by the nuns in the dead of night, they were driven up to the door and left there, wiped from society. We need to have a long hard look at ourselves instead of just abdicating all blame on this onto the church.

Gerry, prendy and elvis like this.
  11. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

The fear of shame stems from the Church. That's why they hid the women away. You had to keep the parish priest sweet for fear of being shunned. So the Church have to have a lot of blame laid at their door. It was a different time back then, most of the country was militant like about their faith in the Church. All you have to do is look at the molestation and abuse scandal. When the whole ethos of your organisation is to get followers by scaremongering and keeping them through fear it's not hard to see how a lot of this happened. Yes, the people themselves who let this happen should be blamed also, but the shame today isn't like the shame of old.
    It is a national disgrace.

Is it time that the government step in and try to take some of the power from the Catholic Church? A lot of the national scandals seems to have some involvement from the Catholic Church.

GaryMc and Liverpool-law like this.
  12. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

The media are complicit in helping the government out in that regard. It's like they think we all have short memories. Sure there's no talk of water charges anymore, the McCabe story stopped all that, and now this. Also, remember the Apple Tax outrage? And so on....

13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yes of course it was bred into people by the church and they have a huge part in this but I think it is too easy for people to wash away their own weakness and pride and guilt and simply point at the church as the evil ones. Would Hitler have been able to do what he did without the backing of a huge percentage of the German people? Would Trump be in power if half of America didn't agree with his views?

As for taking power from the church. it suited the state not to take the power back because it simply couldn't afford to run every school and every hospital and every care facility. It still can't.

elvis likes this.
  14. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

There was a guy born in one of these homes on Matt Cooper last night, I'd highly recommend listening back if you didn't hear it. His answer to your question was of course society must take some blame but society couldn't have thought for 1 second that the holy people who were to care for these kids could be so evil.

Picture a little 2 boy now and imagine starving him to death and throwing his corpse into a sewer. Its not far of the Holocaust as far as I'm concerned.

15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

It's worse, they were supposed to be "people of God."

bobby benitez likes this.
  16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Unfortunately society didn't give a shit either way. Out of sight, out of mind, let's never mention that dirty business again. How many families breathed a sigh of relief when it was all dealt with? Same as abortion in this country, take it away out of here so I don't have to deal with it. I am not in any way defending the church, just not willing to absolve "the poor mindless sheep who were tricked by the evil church." That was their daughter, their sister, their grandchild. And what was said to the fathers of these "bastards" as they would have called them?? Nothing, carry on, lock that sinful hussey away and let poor Seamus get on with his work.

honald_tdb and bobby benitez like this.
  17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Regardless of how the mothers and babies ended up in these places the very least the babies deserved if they died in there was a decent burial, certainly not to be fcuked in to a pit.

18. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

bobby benitez and Stevie S like this.
  19. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ming has a massive axe to grind and won't accept anything but a 100% stick to beat the church with. Labelling anyone with a different view "bullshit historians". And making it about him, he was the 5th child in a married couple family, what the fuck is he making it about himself for? That last line is complete populist bullshit too.

I know someone dear to me who is roughly the same age as Luke, who unlike Luke was born out of wedlock in the 70s and whose grandparents supported their daughter. No nun or priest forcing to give up their daughter, no one coming to take them away, no shunning from society. Just their own morals and not-giving-a-fuck-what-people-think attitude to supporting their daughter and grand-daughter. And Ming trying to shout down anyone who disagrees with him when it is a chance to grind his personal axe stinks to me, he wasn't in this situation even though he somehow tries to make out like he was. I know someone is full of bullshit Ming.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Another very sad and horrific story.