This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The General Gym & Training Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Paddser, Apr 20, 2012.

1. liver06

liver06
    Expand Collapse

I've been doing it since monday,im doing it at home

2. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

How regularly? How long does the 10km take you?

Cycling is a great start, fair play to you but you'll need to shake it up a bit. The body is very good at adapting and making a regular repeated exercise easier for itself. Would you consider running too? Get a exercise mat too and try doing simple weight-free exercises - core, squats, jumping jacks etc.... Check out Jillian Michaels on YouTube for ideas of things you can do.

Food is a big one though, exercise is for nothing without a proper healthy diet.... I'm an OCD pedant though and I'm happy to chat to you about that in the diet thread :eek:

3. Shay

Shay
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Great start well done, you should try get into a group to train with like spinning classes etc as it'll bring more fun to it and make it easier than the grind of sitting at home. You could mix it up with a group walking / running in the park.

4. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Spin class is a great idea, it'll really push you when on the bike. You don't need to be a member of a gym to do it either.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Working on a strength programmed at the moment called the 5X5 which is a 12 week programme with 3 sessions a week and 3 exercises per session.

Basically day one is Squat, Chest Press and Barbell Row and day two is Squat, Over Head Press and Dead Lift. You do 5 sets of 5 on each of these except deadlift which is only 1 set at workout weight. You basically do the same workout 3 days per week for 12 weeks with the aim of increasing overall strength. You start off very light but each visit adds 2.5Kg onto each workout so if you start out with just the bar on the squat by the end of the first week you've 25Kg on the bar. Very light to start out with and it takes a few weeks to get any real resistance from it but I needed to work on my form anyway so it worked out well.

I was doing a bit of cardio after it at the start but I'm wrecked after it these days, was at 60kg on the squat this morning and after 5 sets of it I was pretty wrecked (apparently I'm quite weak :eek:), the idea is that you should have developed enough strength in each workout to hit the increase the next week, so far so good but I'm starting to really strain at the end of each one now.

6. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Man I really need to get back to the gym :( I got that nasty virus that was doing the rounds in December and it just zapped the energy out of me for about 2 weeks. Then it was Christmas and now it's the 9th of Jan! MUST GO BACK TO GYM!

7. liver06

liver06
    Expand Collapse

Once a day,takes average,25mins.Ive also been using an ab roller aswell.I picked up some dumbbells yesterday and have used them.
    Bike,10km-25mins
    Ab roller-30 sit ups before bike and 30 after bike
    My diet would be-
    breakfast-porridge(low fat milk)&honey
    Lunch-blueberries,raspberries low fat greek yoghurt
    Rice cakes and peanut butter
    Dinner-chicken breasts,broccoli
    Snack,walnuts,raisins,popcorn,fruit

8. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a great start for the exercise. Check out Jillian Michael (30 day shred is good), she'll put you through your paces and you can do it in your own home with a laptop or TV (if you can get YouTube on it). You need to give this time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for your diet, TBH, you look like you're on the right track.

If I was to be nit-picky... ditch the honey in the morning. It's sugar you can do without. Ditch "low-fat" anything too. Low fat usually means it is loaded with sugar to provide the nice taste.

Rice cakes & peanut butter are a fav of mine. Check the butter you are using though, some can be heavily processed and full of sugar. Try get a good healthy nut butter or even better, make your own!! :)

Your dinner looks fine (though I hope you are being varied and this is just sample dinner). Do you eat much pasta or rice? Avoid white, go brown.

Snacks: Nuts are great. Fruit is fine as long as it's not too much (full of sugar, natural sugar but sugar all the same). Popcorn... I've no idea what effect they have... if they're processed I'd personally avoid them. Are they salted, buttered?

The weakest point would be your lunch. You should be hungry for your lunch and a bowl of yogurt with a bit of fruit will not fill you - which in turn means you'll snack more. Also, it's essentially a bowl full of sugar. Consider working on some salads for lunch instead - avocado, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, little bit of feta cheese, leafy greens (the darker the better), peppers, etc. Yum! It will be more filling AND you're really dropping the sugar intake. If you want a bit more bite to your lunch, bring corn/rice cakes too.

A general, catch-all rule of thumb btw is to aim for wholefoods over processed ones. Processed foods are most likely full of sugar and God knows what else.

9. callyno3

callyno3
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Its a version of the starting strength progam, well worth sticking with !!

10. liver06

liver06
    Expand Collapse

Cheers,dinner is always different,fish,turkey,meat,chicken is the main dinners each varied day
    I make the popcorn myself,just a lil salt

11. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Cool, remember to try and get plenty of varied veg in too. They help to fill you without pilling on calories.

12. Shay

Shay
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Get yourself a tub of Almond butter, great tasty snack too

13. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I believe I am active enough. I walk everywhere. Fitness could be a bit better. I've started to play soccer again after nearly 30 years. An hour on the Asto. I love it. But I keep getting pains in my calves during the course of the game. Can hardly move and I go in goals. I do stretches and warm ups but keep getting a tightness in my calves. What may the problem be and how can I rectify it. I took a two week break at Xmas and it was great the first week I went back, but last week I got the tightness in the warm up.

14. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Tightness in the calves can be from fatigue from having weak calves. Try adding some calf exercises in. Stand with one foot half way off a step and raise yourself using your calves. Do 15-20 each side and repeat once or twice. I worked with a guy recently who was having problems like you with his calves, he couldn't finish a game. 1 month of doing this twice a day made a big difference for him. You can make it harder by not holding on to anything or by closing your eyes. Eventually you can add weight to it.

15. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know a good physio in the South Dublin area?
    Also what's the rough price for a session?

Only one I've found so far is 95blips, seems steep to me, but I haven't been to a physio in years.

16. Shay

Shay
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Can't help you with a southside option but on price I paid 50 a session. Not sure if you have health insurance but under my scheme I could claim back €25 a session also

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Hi Elvis, price seems very steep to me! I've paid €60 a few times in City Centre! There's a place on Kildare St called SportsMed that I've been to that are very good! It will depend on what injury you've got!

One of the highest rated physios around at the moment is somewhere close to them in town in a placed called FitIreland or something like that! A few Triathalon friends of mine rave about her, apparently very popular on the Tri scene!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Very good advice, like any profession some are better then others with certain things. If its a general muscle strain they all should be good but if its specific like a knee or ankle I'd research someone with that specialty.

19. Coolfran

Coolfran
    Expand Collapse

Been sick for a full week now. Missed several gym sessions and a couple of runs. With a weekend away and then home for easter (no gym) is a shocking few weeks for the routine. Usually gym 6 times a week plus one run. Can't relax if I'm missing it.

20. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Did the weights for the first time in like 8 months on Friday evening there. I still can't move my arms without them hurting. What a feeling that is, walking like T-Rex all weekend. Back at it again tonight, might go a bit easier.