This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Search For a new Manager

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

So who do you want..? I think its maybe a season or so too early for Alonso but I would defo take him its just not great timing.

2. HappyRed

HappyRed
    Expand Collapse

How do you replace the best :( but yeah, Alonso, if it could happen, would be best option. He seems to have the potential to be a special manager. his intelligence could cover up lack of experience and he shares Klopps grounded approach so maybe an easier transition than some others. Don’t know how closely their preferred formations actually are though, or how our players would fit with Alonso’s. 3-4-2-1??

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

There's probably a manager out there that can match the tactics, one that can match the passion, one that can match the personality, one that can match the connection to the fans, one that sees the game as clearly as he does. But there's only one person who can do all of them things and everything else he does. No matter where we go from here it feels like it will have to be a drop in overall ability.

I actually can't even think of people I feel are worth mentioning because it feels wrong to even name anyone as a potential replacement. I can't think of a single person I want in that seat right now but I'm sure time will help.

4. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Who do I want?
    No one. Nobody could re create the passion and adulation I have for Jurgen.
    So.
    Let King Kenny take the seat for 12 months. Let Jurgen re charge his batteries.
    Then re gain the role

5. sligo fan

sligo fan
    Expand Collapse

I wonder why Pep isn't interested in stepping up - anyone hear any reasons?

6. D-Red2

D-Red2
    Expand Collapse

There aren’t many obvious candidates that spring to mind right now. But by the time the summer arrives that might have changed.

Right now though I’d say Alonso is rightly favorite but his lack of experience makes it a gamble.

This one won’t go down well here I imagine but Personally I think Emery has done a wonderful job with Aston Villa and he was outstanding at Sevilla and good at PSG and excellent again at Villareal so aside from that ill-fated stint at arsenal he has done really well everywhere else and I just rate him really highly myself.
    Probably not someone many Liverpool fans would get too excited about though, especially seeing as he obviously doesn’t have any connections to us etc.

Just going back to what joe said, it did occur to me too, if Klopp really does just need a year to recharge the batteries then would the owners have entertained the notion, far fetched as it sounds, of just putting him on gardening leave and Pep runs things til he returns after a season. Unusual and unorthodox but hardly impossible. I’m sure Klopp would never request such a thing but just curious did it occur to them to float the idea by him at all.

#6 D-Red2, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Joedared likes this.
  7. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Emery not a bad shout tbf. I myself always hoped Poch would be available whenever the time came that Klopp left but obviously he's with Chelsea now. As said nobody stands out as a clear favourite, Alonso front runner but a massive risk so early in his managerial career.

8. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Probably fancies another year or 2 at City now his greatest rival is taking a break.

eoinlfc92 likes this.
  9. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

We are in a position where we don't need to get the best available manager who will implement his own style and system and rebuild the team to suit it.
    We have one of the best teams in the world and they still haven't peaked. We need someone who fits the system and players we already have.

10. this

this
    Expand Collapse

The idiots guide to Alonso

How Alonso may set up at Liverpool

My vote at the moment would have to go for Alonso - to be honest I know very little about how his teams tend to set up, other than a back 3, short passing, quick counter attacks, promoting youth is a big priority for him, however the works he has done in Leverkusen speaks for itself. Then from a pure emotive point of view, he ticks a lot of boxes, understands what it means to represent the club and by all accounts seem to be a thoroughly decent human being.

11. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Few additional names that have been tentatively linked.

Xabi Alonso
    Roberto De Zerbi
    Zinedine Zidane
    Steven Gerrard
    Julian Nagelsmann
    Thomas Frank
    Ange Postecoglou
    Rúben Amorim

12. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

A back 3 would mean a new CB and LB cover/fight for place for summer transfer window. Our midfield and attack look well stocked tbf

13. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Is there genuinely anyone who thinks gerrard has a chance?

14. Crofty

Crofty
    Expand Collapse

Surely not? No disrespect to the man but he'd be a dreadful appointment at present.

Saw Emery's name mentioned too. Take his stint at Arsenal out of it and you can understand why I suppose.

15. this

this
    Expand Collapse

I just pulled the list off PP oddschecker and to be fair they would more than gladly take your money for Megan Fox to be yhe next manager - but no I don't personally believe Gerrard has a prayer. Maybe it's the status & success the club have had under Klopp, but the list is fairly underwhelming after you get past Alonso.

16. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Sure Zidane doesn't even speak English.

17. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

When you climb Everest,
    You can't climb any higher.

Bit Eric Cantona there.
    But I believe NO ONE will take us to the highs that Jurgen gave us

18. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

He won't have Access to all that money he's used to spending

19. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

True. Klopp would be ideal for them tbf. He'd have them winning the league and challenging for CL trophy within the 2 years

20. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I don't watch enough football anymore to know who i'd be after. Alonos seems to fit the bill, I wouldn't be against Emery either, he strikes me as pragmatic and has a history of winning in the Rafa mould.

De Zerbi, Postecoglou strike me as very Brendan Rodgers, great teams to watch going forward not good enough defensively.

Ultimately I don't know but whoever the new man is he should not try and be Jurgen Klopp, the fans should not expect them to be Jurgen Klopp either.

For my money though I'm not as worried as a lot of my mates, Your not getting Guardiola and he likely wont be there past 2025, 2026. So new manager needs to enter the job on a par with Arteta and grow from there and I think that is very doable.