This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General Irish Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by babbsnads, Feb 7, 2020.

1. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

"I have acted correctly....in my instruction to a planning agent in relation to the application on my behalf"
    It really is typical gangster shit.
    They slimy pricks always have a middle man to take the fall.

"Yes Your Honour, I own the gun, I loaded the gun and I gave it to my associate with the instructions: 'That aul bitch has run her last race. She needs to be eliminated. Get the job done and put her in the ground'.
    I was of course refering to my injured and sickly greyhound in the kennels....my sweet Mary Lou.
    I had no idea my associate would assassinate the leader of the opposition." :)

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I know there's a certain amount of lying required to be a politician, but we all deal with the same everyday issues they do, and most of us manage it without lying pathologically. There's something wrong with a lot of these fuckers.

Game over for this muppet.

3. Timemachine

Timemachine
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely. As a civil servant that has worked with a lot of these, both in Government and the opposition, believe they are all the same.

4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago with a political journalist and they were saying you can tell within a few weeks of a new TD getting in to the dail whether they're in it for the right reasons or for what they and their cronies can get out of it.

5. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting to see SF down a couple of points in the latest poll.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I see Neasa Hourigan was doing her regular Carmela Soprano impression on TV last night. She gets an attack of conscience every now and again but always finds a way to justify remaining a government party TD, and vote with them on the things she's apparently very upset about.

GaryMc likes this.
  7. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Carmela Soprano hahah that's a great description

bobby benitez and babbsnads like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Another great night for the Greens. When Carmela was announced on Twitter with the other guests, their Director of Communications who has somehow managed to stay under the radar,despite the parties comms being an absolute shambles that even their own members constantly complain about, tweeted in reply "not one sensible person on that panel". Looks like an obvious case of forgetting to swith to a burner Twitter account.

Deleted the tweet,then removed his job title from his bio which was a bit mad. Obviously he wasn't going to admit he uses a burner account to tweet(ifthat is the case)so you'd probably just go with something like "I gave a personal opinion out of frustration, something I shouldn't have done and I apologise". Nope,he went with the story that he had meant to send it as a private message to a friend. Fair enough,he couldn't get out of the opinion he shared,but surely an expert in communications would realise that adding either complete idiot at best,or big fucking liar at worst, to your rap sheet wasn't the way to go?

Shane_90 likes this.
  9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Probably the best quip I've heard from him, decent to be fair! Just stupid to do it as leader of the country while trying to promote the country but a decent gag nonetheless.

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I genuinely couldn't give a fuck who he offends in America, but if you're going to take a risk on a joke,at least make it a funny one. A Monica Lewinsky joke in 2023? It was hard for genuinely funny people to make a good one in 1998,nevermind a charmless and socially inept politician 25 years later.If it wasn't off the cuff he should sack the script writer who convinced him he could pull it off.

Gerry likes this.
  12. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Anyone have a grasp of what's going on with the eviction ban? I can't get my head around it, it's potentially catastrophic for thousands of people. I can't understand why the government would go down this route, from a votes point of view it can only be negative. I can't see any positives in it other than the reasons they're giving, which is long term impact. They have never given 2 shits about long term impact on anything so I'm taking that as a straight up lie.

I guess my ask is who is behind this and who stands to make loads of money?

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

a few people were suggesting last week that it's unconstitutional, if they were to extend it any further i'd imagine there'd be a case brought to the high/supreme court. that'd look bad on the govt's part so best to nip it in the bud now.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

They're trying to get the bad publicity of ending the ban,and the tsunami of evictions that goes with it out of the way in the hope it won't be as much of an issue for the local and European elections next year. The logical thing would obviously be to extend it and try and get as much as possible in place between now and when that extension expires to minimise the amount of people impacted, but they're scum, so they'll put their electoral tactics above doing the right thing here.

bobby benitez likes this.
  15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Haven't watched Countdown in a while. Sounds like it's changed a lot.

16. D-Red2

D-Red2
    Expand Collapse

For me, everything this government have done regarding housing has been a shit-show.
    So this is just the latest shit show.

But anyway,
    Developers is the answer to the last question.

As a frustrated person trying to buy for the past few years I was constantly glued to everything in the housing market here and it was amazing how they did everything possible to push up house prices, they made it their passion.
    Everything they could do they did it, from odd schemes and grants etc , everything was designed to inflate and increase house prices and then just when things might have been calming down due to ECB rate rises they pressured the central bank to increase the first time buyers lending limits, leaving the same few people chasing the same few houses during a supply crisis BUT letting them all borrow way more to inflate prices again.
    At the same time, they had already introduced so many rules and regulations on landlords and high taxes too that suddenly all the landlords saw their chance to sell.
    So they did! In droves. But this isn’t good for keeping house prices high, this government aren’t into that.
    So now it’s time to do some tax incentives and try to stop the landlords exiting.
    So you get rid of the evictions ban and talk publicly about new upcoming tax incentives for landlords etc.

mushypea and bobby benitez like this.
  17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The landlords selling at the top of the market doesn't ever seem to get mentioned. It's all regulations etc but cashing out at 300% profit might just have played a small part too.

D-Red2 likes this.
  18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

"we're talking about 1 million or 2 million."
    the arrogance is astonishing.

19. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

He couldn't give a f**k his money is safe and so is his job

20. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Apparently he had a row with pearse Doherty outside the building afterwards, probably to put some manners on him.

#540 SUPERFAN, Apr 21, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2023