This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Dirk Kuyt...

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by david_w, Jan 16, 2008.

1. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

Or Work Kuyt as i now call him. Is that all he has going for him now? He's an honest worker for the team??

He really has gone off the boil. Last season he drew comparisons to Daglish or Mark Hughes but that seems a far cry away now.

He is rarely in the box or in the position to score goals. I was excited after his first season and even had a cheecky bet of him e.w (66/1)for the Premier league top scorer. I presumed he'd play further up the field this year therefore getting more and more opportunites to get goals.

Has the arrival or Torres curbed his development as a Liverpool player. Kuyt has been demoted to second choice striker and his confidence seems very low.

Can he rediscover his spark or will we wave him off back to Holland.
    A swap deal for Klass Jan Hunterlaar would be lovely. :)

2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

There is no doubt he is a hard worker, but has no pace, no skill and this season his finishing has gone to pot aswell. Maybe the arrival of Torres has affected him slightly as he is always coming to deep. He was hardly on fire last season, 12 league goals (Most against crap teams) and 1 in Europe when he was the main striker.

We paid 10 million, I would take 5 million now. Simpy now not good enough. As for Vorinin, don't get me started

3. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

I dont recall him being compared to Hughes and anyone who said Dalglish was taking the piss.

He is an honest, hard working player but they are a dime a dozen to be at Liverpool or any top side that should be madatory to begin with but its what else you bring to the table that makes you a player worthy of a top side.

Its hard to argue with Rafas decision to take him on, his goal scoring record in Holland was fantastic and if he had turned out to be half as clinical in the box as Van Nistlerooy (?) it would have been a bargin.

Right now he should be third choice after Crouch, how him and HHH are keeping Crouch out of the team baffles me and thats not something the yanks can be blamed for thats all Rafa.

4. Jockser

Jockser
    Expand Collapse

eric maijer was a great worker too. we need another goal scorer like torres. sell Kuyt in my opinion

5. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

I dont think there are many young world class strikers in the £20m bracket floating around these days. Look at Berb at the Spuds being valued at £35m that would make Torres easily worth £60m.

If we could nick Drogba off the Chavs for a Torres price it would be a bargin and quite an unstoppable forward line.

Torres may have been our most expensive signing ever but he is also the biggest bargin we've gotten too.

6. Irish Scouser

Irish Scouser
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Comparing Kuyt to people like Daglish or Hughes is madness.

Anyway, Kuyt shows flashes or brilliance, but he has only every really been a hard worker. You'll always get hard graft and 100% out of him. He'll always do his job, and never complain about being out of position or being on the bench. But hard graft will only get you so far. In the big matches, against Chelsea, United, Arsenal etc. or a Champs League game, he isnt the guy you think is going to unlock a top defense. Without Torres, we dont have any strikers that might unlock a top defense.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he left, although I do like him. I think within half a season he would be forgotten about and not missed at all. If we can get some cash for him, or if he can be used in part exchange for someone else, then I'd take it.

Hard worker and all that, but we have a tradition of fantastic forwards, that isnt being maintained. It was a nice experiment, but it hasnt worked. We need a better partner for Torres.

7. 25052005

Expand Collapse

Like a lot of fans I was 'content' with him last year where he scored a few goals but didn't set the world on fire. This year I have lost patience. He works exceptionally hard and takes a good peno but his link up play is poor, his finishing is far from clinical, he doesn't offer power in the air, doesn't offer pace & drifts into positions that wont buy him a goal.
    While his record in Holland was excellent I think a bit more patience at the time might have saved us £10m. At Liverpool we need more ability & guile.

8. Jockser

Jockser
    Expand Collapse

the thing is he might get his goal scoring touch he had in holland back if he actually got into the box and stopped wandering around the corner flags crossing the ball in to where he should be but that is a coaching matter of course

9. RedMurph08

RedMurph08
    Expand Collapse

I like many others like Kuyt, I really thought he would kick on this season to better things. I agree with a lot of the other views that work-rate alone is just not good enough and we need a decent goal return from our strikers.
    Its the first ive heard of the comparisons to Hughes and Dalglish :eek:

I must look into a Dutch league match one of these days because i have a sneaky suspicion they dont have any goalkeepers over there!

10. homer1

homer1
    Expand Collapse

A good squad player who nobody can deny gives 110% every minute he's on the pitch ........ but simply not good enough to be a regular starter in our team

Same can be said of Crouch & the not good enough part of Voronin too but we need more of a goal threat. Kuyt does a phenominal amount of work but seems to be dropping deeper and deeper every time I see him. If we are going to play with Torres right up top and someone in behind him, I think we would be far more effective with an Aimar / Saviola type player (real second strikers) who are creative as Kuyt doesn't have the natural ability to thread a final ball through

Have been harping on about it for a while but I'd love to see Babel up top with Torres as none of Kuyt, Crouch or Voronin have done it in any way, shape or form this season

11. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree, Babel knows where the net is and seems pretty composed in the box, if memory serves me right Arsenal signed this fella a few years back called Henry from Juve that was playing as a winger at the time with pace to burn and was stuck up top as a striker and I think he did quite well. ;)

12. Jockser

Jockser
    Expand Collapse

kiss of death or wha!!!!!!

13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yeah, seeing him back on the half way line is the most frustrating thing about him for me. Sure, fine, work hard but don't get so far out of position... Rafa seemed to play him proper up front when he came on last night, I'd like to see him given a few games up there and be told, "forget the work, just stay in and around the 18 yard box and poach a few goals". Give him a few games to get the confidence back but that's it, if he doesn't deliver he'll have to be shipped out..

14. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Comparisons were probably drawn with Hughes due to Kuyt's all action style when he arrived. Hughes was never a prolific scorer also. He was a very good player which is something that unfortunately Kuyt isn't. He tries hard but wastes chances, slows down our play and loses and gives the ball away far too often. Add the fact he doesn't score enough goals and the sooner he goes back to holland the better. Nice guy and hopefully he'll be successful when he leaves but nowhere near good enough for LFC. Never heard any comparisons with King Kenny thankfully or I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing

Babel will definitely make a great forward. Even when he isn't playing well he always looks a goal threat. His power, pace and shooting are excellent and he seems assured when one on one with the keeper

15. teedeepee

teedeepee
    Expand Collapse

Sean Dundee worked hard as well!

I think Kuyt reads the game well, I think he takes up good positions and I think he's good at bringing other people into the game.... WHEN HE'S ON FORM! And there's the rub. His form is hopeless at the moment. He's a better player than his recent performances have indicated, but I don't think he's going to make the grade and be vying for an automatic start. I like the guy's "honesty of effort" (to quote Johnny Giles), but as has been said before, that's the starting point. I can see him ending up at a mid table side and being their leading scorer. Not good enough for us though.
    ________
    Suzuki GV1400

#15 teedeepee, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  16. stunnedmullet

stunnedmullet
    Expand Collapse

you could bring in an energetic german shepherd to do the same amount of work and offer the same finishing ability

17. dinnyboy

dinnyboy
    Expand Collapse

the problem with kuyt is the game he's been asked to play.he's having to sacrifice his attacking instincts to "work" for the team.instead of playing in and around the box he's having to track back to midfield and cover players like pennant.plus the fact that he doesn't know from 1 game to the next if he'll be playing.is it any wonder his confidence is shot to picies.just look at crouch as a prime example of that.

18. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I like Kuyt, his effort cant be faulted. I have stood uo for him, until NOW!

But when he came on last night he looked out of place against league one oppposition (i.e wasnt good enough to break even them down).

I dont think hell ever score again. A work horse is all well and good if you are battling against relegation, but you dont see to many work horses at united these days.

If we sold him now though you would get nothing for him. One thought I had was Ashton in a swap for Kuyt. If he could stay fit hed get you 20 league goals and he wouldnt be distracted by chasing lost causes, panting, arguing with referees, linemen, god while flicking his perfect curls at the tv cameras.

19. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Kuyt is the worst REGULAR striker possibly ever to wear the jersey no pace, cant head a ball, terrible finisher, no left foot(his shot with the outside of his right foot so he did'nt have to use his left last night was pathetic),he runs around like a headless chicken with no end product,how the man his a professional footballer i'll never no, he's scored 1 goal from open play in the league this season the one that hit his knee accidently and went in at Newcastle. As Houllier was rememberd in transfer market for signing shit like Diouf Diao and Cherou( and letting Anelka go ) if Rafa goes he'll be remembered in transfer market for spending £10m on Dirk Kuyt the same summer we had the oppurtunity to sign Berbatov for the same fee.

20. stunnedmullet

stunnedmullet
    Expand Collapse

That's just sickening