This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Search For a new Manager

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Fowler's God

Fowler's God
    Expand Collapse

I'll be fully behind him, the job maybe too big for him but it's an exciting period ahead as well as trepidation.

2. this

this
    Expand Collapse

@secondcaptains

Is Arne Slots baldness a sign of a lack of ambition?

3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

My apathy towards Klopps replacement has now extended beyond those in the rumour mill to this guy. I think I've resigned myself to who ever it was being another Moyes/Emery.

4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Arne seems like a 4-2-3-1

If that is going to be new system, going to be interesting who’d play the leading role.

5. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I'd assume he'd look to sign a player or 2 from Feyenoord, and if that was the case I'd say it'll be 2 of Geertruida, Hancko, Wieffer, Timber or Gimenez.

With the question around the leading role, I had a look at Gimenez highlights, and it looked very familiar, so I looked at some Nunez highlights from Benfica and they are very similar, except Nunez is taller, faster, stronger, more skillful, better finisher and has better stats.

So I think Nunez could excel in the leading role IF he can find his finishing boots, but the system is designed to put the leading man with balls in behind. Nunez pace could be devastating.

6. PureKlaas

PureKlaas
    Expand Collapse

Hancko the only one good enough I reckon

7. DerryKev

DerryKev
    Expand Collapse

Now with Amorim out of the running for us, what are the chances Utd now poach him to replace ETH?

8. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

10. sligo fan

sligo fan
    Expand Collapse

Article on the BBC Sports website:

Liverpool agree £9.4m Slot deal with Feyenoord
    [​IMG]IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
    Image caption,
    Feyenoord coach Arne Slot had spells in charge of Dutch sides SC Cambuur and AZ Alkmaar before he took over at the Rotterdam club in 2021

Mandeep Sanghera
    BBC Sport journalist

• Published
      26 April 2024, 21:11 BST
    • Updated 1 hour ago
    Arne Slot is set to become Liverpool's next manager after a compensation deal worth up to £9.4m was agreed with Feyenoord.

The Dutchman is poised to succeed Jurgen Klopp, who announced in January he would leave Anfield at the end of the 2023-24 season.

The Reds will now take steps to agree a contract with the 45-year-old before he is officially appointed.

Liverpool have agreed to pay Feyenoord £7.7m (9m euros) plus a possible £1.7m (2m euros) in add-ons.

Slot led Feyenoord to the 2022-23 Eredivisie title, while this season they have won the Dutch Cup and are set to finish second in their league.

It is believed that the attacking style of Slot's teams, his personality and his ability to develop players are key factors in making him Liverpool's choice for the job.

Slot took over as Feyenoord manager in 2021 and confirmed his interest in managing in the Premier League when he was linked with Tottenham in 2023.

Former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso, who guided Bayer Leverkusen to their first Bundesliga title this season, was linked with the position at Anfield.

But the 42-year-old Spaniard ended speculation in March when he announced he would remain with Leverkusen for the time being.

Sporting Lisbon's Ruben Amorim was also reported to have been a contender to take over from Klopp, who has been in charge of the Reds since October 2015.

Klopp, who had no role in the process to recruit his replacement, said at a news conference on Friday there is much to admire about the way Slot's teams approach the game.

"I like the way his team play football. All the things I hear about him as a guy say he’s a good guy," Klopp said.

"I like that a lot - good guy, good coach and looking forward for the club if he is the solution. I’m more than happy, it sounds all really good."

Asked about the job Slot would be taking on if appointed, Klopp added: “Best job in the world, best club in the world. Now it looks like [Slot is] helped by [Liverpool] not finishing on a high so there’s space for improvement."

Media caption,
    Jurgen Klopp gave his verdict on Arne Slot

Slot's route to Liverpool
    A former midfielder, Slot spent his entire playing career in the Netherlands, making more than 100 appearances for both FC Zwolle and NAC Breda.

After retiring from playing, he began his coaching career as a youth coach at PEC Zwolle before moving to SC Cambuur to become an assistant manager.

He moved to AZ Alkmaar in 2017 and stepped up to become manager two years later. In his first season in charge, they were second, level on points with leaders Ajax, when the Covid-19 pandemic brought the season to a premature end.

He was sacked in December 2020 when it was claimed that he had been negotiating with Feyenoord.

Slot confirmed on Thursday he wanted to make the move to Liverpool, telling ESPN: "It seems clear to me that I would like to work there."

11. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I know nothing about Arne but, obviously, want him to do well.

But I can't help thinking that this is the excuse for Trent to go and that we could lose other players.

It won't be the same without JK and the last time that I felt this un-nerved was when Kenny left.

30 years of hurt followed. I doubt that I'll be alive in 30 years!!

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Signed in much the same way as our player with little fanfare until it's across the line almost; don't know much about him (nothing at all in fact) but seemingly a good fit due to his attacking philosophy and player development which sounds ideal on the face of it.

13. this

this
    Expand Collapse

100% behind the big man and looking forward to a big summer - he seems to be a big fan of an athletic 6 so hopefully that's first on the range.

Be interesting to see if the match day leaks dry up after whatever staff turnover happens in the next few months.

Massive respect for everything Klopp has done for us, and he will rightly get his accolades. But, no manager or player are bigger than the club, never really got the sky falling in sentiments.

When it happened, there were questions about the amount spent on VVD, the record fee for Alisson, us paying £34m for a Chelsea reject & some Scottish lad for next to nothing from relegated Hull. Here's hoping Arne falls into that category, only time will tell, but pining for Rafa, Jurgen, Amorim, Alonso etc. from here on out doesn't serve much of a purpose in my opinion.

14. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I'm naive as fcuk but I've seen a few on gear saying Trent will ho/will want to go. Can't see it myself. He's Liverpool through and through, a local lad who is playing for his boyhood club. I see him here for his whole career

Joedared likes this.
  15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

He's currently on half the salary Salah is, if he's not offered parity (or close to it) in his next deal who would blame him for going?
    That's assuming Salah is staying.

16. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

17. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Piece in The Times confirming that Slot will be signed as Coach, rather than manager, to work under Hughes (Sporting Director) and Edwards (Chief Executive of Football). I think a good few of us probably saw this coming with the recent hires and I 100% get it, Klopp has burnt himself to the ground for this club, man looks completely shattered. One would assume the intent of the DOF route would be to derisk the head of the playing staffs position so that LFC are not depending on a generational talent like Jurgen for success.

18. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Once it’s transparent and collaborative it works you just have to look at most if not all of the top clubs in Europe , as Slot settles in imo he will have more power in recruitment than he does in his first year .

Edwards philosophy when replacing Rodger’s was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager's influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

That’s why we signed Klopp over Carlo Ancelott who was on a three man short list with Howe .
    Carlos transfer record counted against him because the check system devised by Edwards and Liverpool's analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager's recruitment in his first year
    A lot of Ancelotti's recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool's thinking. Edwards and the hierarchy wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

it’ll be interesting to see if Edwards philosophy has changed but I expect it’ll be similar even though Klopp was appointed as A manager not a head coach
    Also Slot has full control at present in Holland on all transfers … so I’d expect Edwards has took this on board

thoughts ?

this likes this.
  19. this

this
    Expand Collapse

I would be surprised if Edwards transfer philosophy has predominantly changed that much to be fair, 22/23 with min. amount of senior seasons behind them. I don't see us going buying an established 29 year for big money, it's just not the model. Obviously there were a few exceptions, but it's hard to argue that the recruitment under Edwards wasn't much better than since he left, with more qualified success to date. Jury is still out on Nunez & Sobo, with MacAllister being the only one that I would say is on par with the type of signings we made under Edwards previous stint, and even now I think would comfortably sit at the same table as a transfer success with VVD, Salah, Mane, Fab.

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Every time I see Edwards name written down I hate him a little bit more.