This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

UEFA backs push to move Qatar WC to winter

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Money talks .... Utter disgrace...hows the fixtures going to be like in pl?

3. Tarabuses

Tarabuses
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Abandon the Capital One cup for a year?

4. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Yea more than likely could be dropped...i cant see it tho

5. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The more I am reading into this the more I believe that the 2022 World Cup will not happen Summer or Winter in Qatar 2022.

6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sepp Blatter suggests 2022 Qatar World Cup could take place in Iran and other Middle East countries

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-in-Iran-and-other-Middle-East-countries.html

Sepp Blatter has opened the door for the 2022 World Cup to be staged across the entire gulf after revealing several countries had offered to co-host the tournament with Qatar.

Fifa president Blatter revealed the prospect of a gulf-wide event, first proposed by arch-rival Michel Platini, would be discussed after a decision was made over whether to move it to the winter.

The extraordinary revelation came during Blatter’s visit to Abu Dhabi ahead of Friday’s Under-17 World Cup final, during which he also indicated the 2022 tournament would need to kick-off in November or December rather than January or February.

It also came 24 hours before Blatter visits Doha to meet the Emir of Qatar to discuss the scandal over the death and mistreatment of workers building the infrastructure necessary for the country to host the World Cup.

Asked about the prospect of matches in the tournament being played elsewhere, he said: "I keep a big question mark on this.

"I have just passed through Iran and, even on a political level, people told me they would be happy to host some of the matches.

"So not even in the Gulf state but in the Middle East in general people care about this. The UAE would also be very eager but let’s go step by step.

"The first step is to see how it can be played in November-December and this shall be until the next World Cup: we have six, nine, months' time to do so.

"Also, I want to avoid all this criticism concerning workers’ rights but this is another problem.

"To have the finals in different countries is not a new fact and I am sure it is something on the table at a certain time."

The prospect of a gulf-wide World Cup is unlikely to be welcomed by Qatar nor the countries which it beat during the controversial bidding process for the tournament.

Blatter said the UAE sports minister had stressed the Emirates’ ambition to stage more Fifa events.

"They have had the Under-20 World Cup and now the Under-17 World Cup. They are also keen to host a women’s tournament here," he said, before adding: "They would like to be a part of the big World Cup."

7. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

why cant they just pick one country and stop complicating matters

8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Think the above is just a bit of Blatter political speak. Nothing in it makes me change my mind that there will be no Qatar world cup and there will be a completely fresh bidding contest for 2022.

9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not be held in June and July, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has confirmed in an interview with radio station France Info.

Valcke suggested that the tournament will be played between 15 November to mid-January.

10. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

FFS, well who didn't see this coming the moment Qatar won the bid. What a joke. A non footballing nation getting the biggest tournament in football and they can't even host it at the traditional time of year. Hope FIFA enjoyed playing "pass the brown envelope". Corrupt f*ckers

11. Shay

Shay
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thats absolutely crazy

12. northside red

northside red
    Expand Collapse

when does he retire? surely Platini will make a new contest then

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure how long it's been the case,probably always and I just never noticed until I was a bit older that FIFA/UEFA etc. has 1 million times more to do with politics and the money that goes with it, than football. Watching The Wire again at the minute,and all these games being played and leaks that come out of FIFA are exactly like the type of shit that went on in that programme.

14. sean

sean
    Expand Collapse

Once the World Cup was awarded to Qatar it was always going to be played in the Winter, there simply wasn't even the smallest chance of it going ahead in June. The whole notion of the competition being played in the summer was based on a technology that hadn't even been invented yet!!

When it all comes down to how 22 individuals vote to decide where the biggest sporting event in the world should go, its always going to be open to corruption. No doubt that members of that committee and their families are set up for life after Russia and Qatar were awarded the tournaments. Very hard to uncover such things of course when FIFA will barely even launch a joke of an internal investigation.

15. LUCAN RED

LUCAN RED
    Expand Collapse

When we qualify,The Irish lads will find it hard in that weather :D:D:D

16. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

FIFA have issued a statement saying that is only Valckes personal opinion on the matter, and that nothing has been decided yet.

17. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

The longer this goes on before a new bid is done the more it will cost FIFA as they will have to reimburse Qatar for any money they have spent getting the stadia planned and built.

If it goes ahead it will effectively mean 3 almost back to back seasons with maybe one months break between the season before the WC and the season after to get the dates back to the August start and May end. The alternative is to abandon both cups the season before and the season of the WC but the FA will then have to pay every club in the country money to make up the lost revenue.

or will UEFA suspend the Europa League and Champions League for the season before and during the WC seeing how a large portion or players going to it based in Europe will play one or either of those competitions or will that cost them too much money???

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

All part of the dance.

19. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

How will this work for the EPL..?

20. sean

sean
    Expand Collapse

Loads of possible scenario's including starting the season in July and finishing it in June. Plenty implications for Champions League also, group games would probably need to start in August.