This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

UEFA backs push to move Qatar WC to winter

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

I think there is a fairly simple solution to this, boycott it on health grounds never mind the fact that it will mess up probably 3 seasons of most leagues in the world with very short breaks between seasons to get the games played to allow at least a month beforehand and one month after, how can you have a 3 month break in the middle of a season?

Id be boycotting the Russian one first though.

2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[YOUTUBE]yvnhJskYd2M[/YOUTUBE]

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

In light of the announcement from FIFA about the timing of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Premier League Chief Executive Richard Scudamore has made the following statement:

"We are extremely disappointed with the FIFA Task Force recommendation to move the 2022 FIFA World Cup to a November and December schedule.

"It is clear that the views of the European leagues, along with the numerous other competitions globally that will be negatively affected, have not been given serious consideration throughout this process.

"The prevailing view from the leagues has been that displacing the 2022 World Cup significantly from the original summer dates disproportionately impacts the sporting integrity of our competitions.

"Our particular concern is that a FIFA World Cup that finishes late in December could result in damaging one of the English game’s great traditions and attractions, with the removal of the entire Premier League, Football League and FA Cup Christmas and New Year fixture programme that season.

"Clearly there is still time within the process to consider our position further, but first we will consult with our clubs, other stakeholders in English football, and other leagues before deciding on what, if any, further action might be appropriate or worthwhile."

4. Juan

Juan
    Expand Collapse

What a mess....but at least those england players will be home for christmas.

diceyreilly likes this.
  5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

FIFA ... laughable, from start to finish....

If several of the high profile, highly competitive nations threatened to pull out, more would be done but they won't, because it's all about the dosh (as we all well know :))

6. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Money will talk here.

You will probably see 80%+ of players who will take part in the World Cup plying their trade in Europe.

The likes of Sky and BT will be paying much more multiples of billions at that stage and will they **** give up their lucrative Christmas matches.

The whole awarding process has all ready been overwhelming deemed corrupt, the report saying as much was doctored and is corrupt.

I can see FIFA been disbanded in it's current guise over it.

7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

The sooner, the better.

8. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I see FIFA saying there will be no compensation handed out as a result of the moving of it, the sooner somebody gets rid of blatter the better .

9. Kop On

Kop On
    Expand Collapse

People getting up in arms over something that might happen in 2022. :eek:

It’s not for another seven and half years, I’ll be just happy if I’m alive and healthy in 2022 and whether the world cup is held in June/July or November/December certainly won’t change my life. Either way there’ll still be a hell of a lot of football to watch that year and that’ll do me. ;)

10. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Are we not being biased here. The South American leagues for example have to move their schedules every 4 years when the world cup is up, just because the Europeans leagues have more money and better footballers, why should we become a priority or am I missing something here.

Anyway it suits the LOI :D

11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

The South Americans will not be happy as if you reach the final you will not get home for Xmas.

12. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

13. sully&Red

sully&Red
    Expand Collapse

14. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

15. northside red

northside red
    Expand Collapse

Like having ski Sunday in the sahara

16. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I really thought their would have been a re-vote on this. The decisions was madness and still is.

17. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I really thought that the crazy decision to award the World Cup to Qatar would have been rescinded and a new vote taken place my now. It's not going to happen. A further nail in the coffin to any hopes I had that common sense might have prevailed is gone today with Fifa releasing their match calendar for international fixtures 2018 to 2024.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/aff...c2018-2024fifa_15-02163_101_en_en_neutral.pdf

18. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I've nearly a bigger issue over Russia hosting. Both decisions were horrendous.

19. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Some interesting stuff going on at the moment with relation to the other Arab states and Qatar. Could it possibly have a knock on effect on the crazy decision to award Qatar the 2022 world cup.

Big story is about the airspace Qatar Airlines can no longer fly through.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-saudi-arabia-bahrain-egypt-uae-a7774636.html

Small story is in the UAE, the channel Bein Sports has now being removed from a cable company broadcasting television.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/bein-sports-channels-disappear-uae-screens

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

It's very interesting how a number of the arabic states have all turned on Qatar in recent times... must have been something Trump stirred up when he was over with the Saudis and others recently.

That said, I also found it interesting that Kuwait have apparently offered to try and mediate a solution between Qatar and others, given Kuwait have had first had experience of what it's like to be invaded by a dictator etc.

While I hope for a very quick solution to the problems with ISIS etc. I'd also be only too delighted to see the decision to have the world cup played in Qatar reversed (regardless of the reason why), as it was complete madness from Day 1.