This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Mobile Phone and Home Package Deals

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by djdwainec, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Foxx92

Foxx92
    Expand Collapse

If it's the fibre roll out I think Vodafone might offer it too. Our address didn't show on the VF website as being offered, but they came door to door and we were able to get it through them. If its old style internet you might be stuck with Eir

elvis likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Eir left a leaflet in saying we're eligible for fibre upto 1000mb so I'd hope that's the case. We're not too far from the new fibre exchange either. Anything over 100mb will do. My issue is Eir keep emphasising the "upto 1000mb" and won't commit to an average speed until AFTER installation which I'm a bit unsure about.

3. Foxx92

Foxx92
    Expand Collapse

I think in that case Vodafone might also be possible for you. We got Eir installed and the speeds are decent for wifi, certainly a heap better than the 3mb we were getting before. Eir are a disaster to deal with if anything goes wrong however. They had a deal last year that you got BT sports and Eir Sports included in the price. BT is gone from that but I think you still get Eir sports which is better than nothing.

4. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

@elvis pm me your eircode and I can check it for you if you wish

elvis likes this.
  5. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys, the screen on my S8 + is cracked and water got in. Phone is waterproof and operating system is working fine except the screen is yellow and the phone is unusable as a result. It's €230 to get it replaced locally. I have the phone since May 2018 and I'm not due an upgrade until next Jan. Ideally I'd see out this contract and go back to a sim only contract to reduce my monthly cost.

Opinions please?
    • Fix the screen as I really like the phone.
    • Buy a cheap Samsung phone for €120 in store. Save 100 quid but use an inferior phone while I see out my contract.
    • Purchase a decent phone instead - example - https://www.ebuyer.com/868428

6. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Option 3. I'd go with the Xiaomi phone, see out the contract, and move to a cheaper sim only plan.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Chap in work picked up one a few weeks ago and he's literally not shut about it since. It's probably a good sign in fairness but he's really gone into the annoying phase now about how amazing his new phone is and the unbelievable price.

diceyreilly likes this.
  8. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

That'll happen for his first 3 phone purchases (I was that person, but you get tired of trying to educate people still addicted to the iPhone). He'll shut up once someone in the office gets a better phone than him. People like shiny things.

9. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

Would you recommend the phone in the link Elvis or something similar? Ideally. I wouldn't spend much over €250

10. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

That's a very good phone, but it's likely to cost you upwards of €350 when you get the global version and with shipping. There's other phones from Xiaomi that are excellent with good specs that are cheaper and will tide you over until you're out of contract.

Xiaomi Mi A3 is €194
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 is €136
    Xiaomi Pocophone F1 is €241
    Xiaomi Mi Max 3 is €157

You'll find them all here on this search link. https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-...omi,fe_bands-lte-b3-1800,fe_bands-lte-b20-800

Kimovil is a great resource for comparing handsets. You can add them all to the comparison and see which you like. Alternatively you can adjust the filters to find the right phone for your needs. The main thing to check is that the phone is both B3 (1800) & B20 (800) compatible in "Network Connectivity" as these are the only 4G bands in Ireland and not all phones will work on 4G here.

11. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. A few friends living in Liverpool purchased a Xiaomi phone from eu global site and it delivered straight away. My friend in Ireland never received his and still hasn't gotten it sorted months later. It was last signed for in Northern Ireland and then the tracking stopped.

Where would you recommend buying it from?

12. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I'd normally pay a little extra and get it from AliExpress there's a specific store called HongKong Goldway which has never let me down over the years. They'd also be the one that people on boards.ie would recommend. The cost is slightly more expensive and delivery takes a little longer.

But EU Global and Bangood are hit and miss but usually are cheapest and fastest to delivery.

Gear Best is somewhere in between.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I've used Eu Global myself and thankfully I've never had an issue with them in terms of receiving the goods but they're definitely of the shadier variety. They shipped me a camera that had cost in excess of €500 before and included a receipt for €20 with the customs declaration stating that they were shipping me batteries, obviously they're scamming customs and it worked in my favour in that I got it at a lower price but it just kind of shows the kind of organisation they are. Might be nothing to worry about but if I'm handing over money on the internet I try and be somewhat strategic in how big of a risk I'm willing to take.

14. south

south
    Expand Collapse

https://www.honorbuy.com/1526-xiaom...ack.html?search_query=Pocophone+F1&results=10

Ship from Europe and reliable. Bought my own Xiaomi from them and had it in 2 days

15. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

16. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Ask them to include a UK 3 pin plug and they'll either give you that or an adapter. But they work with all of the USB plug heads so I'm sure you have a few of them already.

david_w likes this.
  17. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

Got the Redmi Note 7 and I love it. Purchased from Honorbuy and it arrived after two days.

Dub13 likes this.
  18. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

Current Plan is up in 2 months. Anyone on any good plans / deals at present?

Currently pay 60e a month with Eir.

19. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Three sim only offer €15 a month. Everything included unlimited calls texts and internet. Also have calls and texts to english numbers when in UK

https://www.three.ie/buy/prepay.html#sim-only

Its actually advertised with them for €30 which is still good - i get it cheaper as have been with 3 for years and threaten to leave everytime they try to put it up :D

dk.lfc likes this.
  20. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

GoMo is 15 per month what appears to be all in.

dk.lfc likes this.