This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Crystal Palace 8pm KO Monday

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by ROCCO, Aug 12, 2022.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Most chances Mo Salah has ever created in a game for Liverpool apparently. 8

2. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Moment of madness for Nunez! Class goals from Diaz and Zaha, need to be more clinical when we’re on top! Elliot looks a serious player, a bad start but we move on

3. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

The cup runs it is so :)

vodkacolly likes this.
  4. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Our midfield is to injury prone and a few out of sorts and debatable 2/3 new midfielders needed by next season .

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Dissapointing,we played really well first half. We looked sharp,dominated and created plenty of chances. Nunez really let us down but what's done is done and he'll know that himself. Diaz was different class after we went down to 10 men and Elliott really suits that midfield role. Very good in possession and plenty of ball recoveries too. Points wise though its a terrible start for a team with title ambitions.

6. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Considering we dropped 22 points in the whole of last season and came 2nd, absolutely. 4 points dropped already. The margin for error in the last couple of seasons is close to zero.

7. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I held fire till this morning..I had zero hope of us winning the title this season. We have to be realistic, after a monumental effort we yet again missed out on the league by 1point last year for various reasons, but overall it was an unbelievable season which we may never see again, we came so close to immortality but it didnt work out.
    For me, losing mane was a huge blow, ironic that Munich are the thorn in klopps side again even when he's in England!! Sure, Nunez has potential, but unproven & showed poor finishing & decision making last night.
    So mane, minimino & origi gone & we replace them with one player in Nunez?!..

What's really gauling for me, is that we've gone into another season with an overload of injuryprone players in midfield, its unacceptable...the owners have done some great things around the club, but the appeared hesitance & pennypinching in building upon successes is treacherous to our progression, so its 2 steps forward 1 step back...were banking on young players coming good but while we wait for that were been overtaken by other teams..

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

A lot there I'd normally challenge but I'll keep it to one specific issue. How is it penny-pinching? Its the clubs money, its generated to benefit the club. So where is the logic in the owners penny pinching? What do they gain from us not spending the funds available in the way Klopp and his staff would like to?

9. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Midfield is a problem due to injuries and it’s age of a few and obviously we have players we wanted one going to Madrid and one still at Dortmund .So obviously the cash is there for Klopp .
    Klopp will wait and won’t go for stop gaps but surely there’s more players out there than just sticking to our main targets .

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine that's up to Klopp and his staff though. Finances have to be managed,and pathways have to be available to younger lads to allow us to get the most benefit possible from the funds available. When and where they decide to compromise is all part of a delicate balancing act and its probably not possible to always get it right. But not many get it right aa often as we do so imo it makes sense to stick to the principles we've put in place. We all have our opinions,I thought Klopp was being ridiculous for refusing to compromise on Van Dijk and leaving us short in that position for as long as he did,but I got my eye wiped massively on that one. It's actually hard to think of any time he refused to compromise and wasn't ultimately proved right.

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Maybe,but very hard to say. He allowed him to stay with Leipzig for another season as part of the deal but we've no way of knowing if he would have looked at other options if that deal hadn't of got done.

13. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Obviously Klopp sees the obvious situation with our midfield and why he wanted it addressed this season and I’m glad to see the likes of Elliott and Carvalho get their chance as they’re bought going to be top talents.
    But I don’t see either as a centre midfielder, Elliott is occupying the RCM as much as Salah , and Carvalho seems to be occupying the the space of Diaz.
    Just feel with Thiago been injured we don’t have anyone near that level to come in .
    Think we’re crying out for top a CM .

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Your wording is a bit confusing to me. Is a RCM/LCM and a CM different in your analysis,because if it is who does the top CM we sign play instead of? I'm not saying we couldn't do with another midfielder but I'm just not sure what kind of player you think we're crying out for,especially since the two we've been credibly linked with (Touchameni and Bellingham) are different types of players. And I don't see the issue with Elliott not being a central midfielder because he has all the attributes he needs to play RCM in our system. Him and Salah have a very good understanding and have been linking up very well. I haven't seen enough of Carvalho to have an informed opinion. So the question is who's available that Klopp really wants that is a)good enough to warrant a change in formation,or b)good enough to warrant stifling Elliotts progress, or c)compromise our ability to get the player we think Klopp is holding out for, or d)some combination or portion of a,b or c?

Thepuinse likes this.
  15. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

There’s no issue with Elliott playing RCM , but our no 1 target seemed to be Tchouameni a central defensive midfielder and Bellingham a box to box midfielder , so obviously Klopp sees centre of the park needing 2 players going forward
    And I’d guess would have liked one if not both this summer.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Well there's needing and wanting. And an obvious need wouldn't really tally with buying nobody this summer and waiting for another year,because an obvious need would mean we likely won't achieve our targets this season without filling that need. I don't believe Klopp would sacrifice our chances to achieve our targets by signing nobody in an area where there's an obvious need but like any great coach he'll always be looking to improve. Basically what I'm saying is if he thinks we should wait for the specific players he wants, then that's most likely the correct thing to do.

17. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Personally I think it’s a risky strategy , thinking our injury prone players in midfield will be ok over the season and not all have issues at the same time .