This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Tablet Recommendation for 8 year old

Discussion in 'Computers/Gadgets' started by smarten, Sep 4, 2020.

1. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Hi

My daughter will be 8 in 2 weeks and is asking for a tablet that she can eventually play games and movies on.
    Have a budget of 100 -150 but would like something that will last a while and have enough storage etc
    She's 8 so doesn't have to be high spec as knowing her it will be dropped or stood on when jumping around with her pals.

Any recommendations would be great as would like to order asap. I'm not too up to speed with all this stuff.

Thanks a mill

2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I'd highly recommend and Amazon Fire HD (Kids Version), you can set up a kids profile on it and restrict access to certain things which are managed via the parents profile with a separate password. Comes with a rubber case that makes it virtually indestructible (but comes with a 2 year no quibble warranty, you can try to flush it down the toilet and Amazon will still replace it). It can get games, books and movies and most/all popular apps on it.

They're quite pricey at the moment, but usually go on sale on prime day (unannounced date this year due to COVID)

8inch version is currently £140 and the 10inch version is £199
    You can get a smaller 7inch version for £100 but I wouldn't recommend this one.

You can get other tablets around the same price that are decent, but don't offer as good specs, parental controls or warranty. The 10inch version especially should last (spec wise against other tablets) and be able to be used for school work etc as she gets older, so it's an investment.

Also with Amazons refund policy, you can get it and try it out for 30 days and ship it back for free if you don't like it for a full instant refund.

3. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thanks Elvis, I'll definitely have a look at this. Think you have nailed what I am looking for in terms of specs, warranty and future school work. Cheers for this :)

elvis likes this.
  4. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Would definitely recommend them. The child proof case is brilliant too and if you manage to break the tablet inside the first year or two they replace the tablet as the case is meant to be break proof. My 7 & 9 year old have 1 each

smarten likes this.
  5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I have a fire tablet a while now and they're grand little yokes, not sure how you would watch movies on it though.

6. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

YouTube, Prime Video, Netflix and Disney+ are all available on it. Plus there's a FileExplorer app and a built in video player (but download VLC instead) so you can download or transfer movies from a laptop etc. Finally there's a web browser (and can install your preferred one) so you can stream movies if needed from other sources.

You can also install the Google Play Store on a Fire Tablet by following the instructions here...
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/11/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/

And if all else fails you can install Cinema HD too https://troypoint.com/cinema-apk/

smarten and SUPERFAN like this.
  7. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I've seen lots of complaints about the kids interface on the Fire tablet for kids.
    It looks like something I wouldn't want.
    I want my to install and download from the Google Play Store and it looks like that wouldn't be possible on the childs profile.
    Can I set up a child profile on the tablet without installing AmazonKids/FreeTime or whatever it's called now?