This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Basel v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Clerk, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Wondering is Brendan going to leave Sturridge out v West Brom and hope it stops him going on international ? hoot hoot

Markovic is on the plane so guessing his suspension is over ?

#41 ROCCO, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It is over.

3. jasonb

jasonb
    Expand Collapse

I'm very worried about this game. We're really missing Sturridge (what team wouldn't miss their best striker) and while the performance against Everton showed improvement, we're clearly still struggling.

Basel might not be European greats, but they're a good team, are playing better than us, and have a lot more recent European experience than we do. I'd be very happy with a draw...

J.

4. Liver6t

Liver6t
    Expand Collapse

Rodgers team talk should go something along these lines "Lads we do not loose this fcuking game!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

I really feel we should be going here to win.

Presuming Madrid win that potentially leaves us going into a home tie with Madrid with a victory all but putting us through.

6. jasonb

jasonb
    Expand Collapse

We should be going here to win, 'cos playing for a Draw (especially with how we're defending at the moment) tends not to work.

However, at the moment we're just not playing our best, due to missing players, new players bedding in etc. etc. I think it's easy to see the words 'Liverpool' and 'Basel' and think we should take them, but in reality they are probably the better team at the moment.

I'm not saying we won't win, I'm just saying I'd be very happy with a draw...

J.

7. CooCooTinho

CooCooTinho
    Expand Collapse

Take a look at their squad and tell me the players that would get into our side, even with the injuries. Should be beating this lot if we're going to do anything in this competition.

They're a selling club, results from years gone by count for little.

8. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Well he does always tell them to keep it "tight". So you're not too far off with how it'll go :D :cool:

9. jasonb

jasonb
    Expand Collapse

I take your point and if this was March/April last season I'd almost be assuming we'd be beating them (and that's saying something as a Liverpool fan!). But we're just not playing great at the moment and are missing players, so I think it's a tough one to win, especially away from home. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong though! ;)

J.

10. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

They won at Stamford bridge last season, their no mugs, a draw would be a very good result. What exactly are you expecting us to do in this competition this season

11. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

we'll get beaten tomorrow night and everyone will dread getting knocked out in the group. then we'll beat real and we will be ok, its just the way we do things

12. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Could say the same about West Ham or Middlesbrough. There's little that separates top flight teams these days and we are not at the top of our game. It doesn't matter that player for player we look better on paper because on the pitch it's so easy to contain our attack and expose our defence.

Yes, we should be beating this team but the way we are playing this season I don't think we've anything to be cocky about. If we play how we know we can play we should beat Basel but we won't know until about 15-20 minutes into the game what Liverpool turned up.

13. Liver6t

Liver6t
    Expand Collapse

14. CooCooTinho

CooCooTinho
    Expand Collapse

Well we won't be going any further than the first knock out stage if we're scared of a side like Basle.

Sommer and Salah are now gone from Basle, only two recognizable names from the team that beat Chelsea, that I can see. They do have a 36 year old Walter Samuel now tho.

15. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

These are games you like to be cautious and keep it tight and catch them on the break. We don't do that so I can see it been a 4-2 game. To who I have no idea

16. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Nobody said there scared, but your basically saying there mugs, they've a CL pedigree, they know how to beat top teams, there champions of their country most seasons. "Recognisable names" recognisable to who? You've openly admitted on here you don't watch much European football.

#56 trucker, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  17. Horan01

Horan01
    Expand Collapse

Agree with Trucker, a draw out there tonight would be a good result, especially with their record against premier league teams over the past few years, beaten Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham.
    Aside from beating Chelsea out there last year in the group stages, Steaua managed to get a draw and Schalke nicked a one nil victory playing a counter attacking style. If we do something similar tonight who knows, but going back with at least a point will do just fine

18. graham

graham
    Expand Collapse

A draw would be a great result for us tonight.
    Park the bus and try get Balotelli to stay up top where he's supposed to be

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Tricky place to go. A lot of CL experience and generally their crowd get up for it. It will be interesting to see how our lads handle it. A point will be a decent result. A win and I think we'll definitely get out of the group.

20. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Nice idea in theory except our bus is a beaten up old heap of junk with the windows blown out. If we park that, Basel will maul us until they find the holes and then we're done.

Unfortunately I've no alternative suggestion :eek: I would say we should play our game and stretch them so we can pass freely around the midfield like we used to but if Danny's not playing I don't see how that will work. The least I would like to see in our play tonight is a high workrate closing down Basel, winning back the ball before they reach our back line and retaining it long enough to get into some decent positions. I'd prefer quick counter attacks but Mario is not mobile enough for that so a slow build up attack seems a better route to go.