This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What really grinds your gears.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Maverick, Apr 27, 2011.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Painting.

Off this week so said I'd get the hall,stairs and landing done. For some reason I forgot how much I despised painting and how shit I am at any form of DIY,but it all came flooding back,with the stairs carpet destroyed for good measure. Luckily I found a fella who's fitting a new carpet tomorrow. I'm never painting again.

south, STEVE1978 and GaryMc like this.
  2. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I bought a bike in Halfords to be collected on Nov 18th. There was a fire in a nearby premises which meant the store hasn't reopened and I couldn't collect it. I spoke to a lad in liffey valley store who reckons it won't be open again before Christmas. Halfords have done the decent thing and knocked €42 of the bike for black Friday but some how the bike is €8 dearer now. I used to be good at maths.

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I see PlayStation 5 is basically being touted like match tickets these days. Had a couple of People contact asking if I know how to source one as they are on Santa lists. Had a quick look at eBay And some crazy bids. Something suss going on though as big stores are releasing them at 3am and they are gone in minutes. Obviously bots hoovering them up for resellers to flog on eBay for 3 times the price. Going to be a lot of desperate people in next 3 weeks

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if the staff in those stores, get access to them, before Joe Public?

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Why do you think mate?

6. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

A store manager would be able to divert or hold a few units for whoever he wanted but floor staff would not have that luxury.

Garrett likes this.
  7. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

If supply can't meet demand with the release so late in the year then blame can only be on Sony

We all know touting wise scum will always be scum.

Skintown Red likes this.
  8. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

I know of one store that had a raffle in amongst the staff to pull out names for staff to buy them
    Can’t argue with that in fairness

Garrett likes this.
  9. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Also scumbags that profiteer out of people’s desperation for kids presents are lowlife

GaryMc likes this.
  10. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I got two of them. Had one Pre ordered in August from GameStop and they couldn’t guarantee me one on launch day so put the effort in and got on from Smyths when they done their preorders in September.

Then GameStop rang me launch week to say they had one for me, so I offered it up at cost price to a few people. In the end my brother took it. GameStop were very strict on who could collect and so were Smyths.

I’ve seen a lot of people buying them up to sell them in Raffles and for nearly double the price . In fairness to Smyths they sent out emails this week to say there would be more and they launched them at 10.30pm like they done back in September.

Some shady business going on with some of the shops and I’ll leave it there .

Garrett likes this.
  11. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

In fairness both Sony and Microsoft couldn't let each other have a headstart on sales and pre-xmas is the perfect release time so they had to do it now.
    They could wait half a year to release when they have the supply to meet demand but that same demand might not be there.

It's just brutal that parents have that pressure to buy such an expensive item.
    Whatever about football jerseys or xmas pressies in general but 4 or 500 quid not including extra games or controllers?... that's some serious first world problems there.

mushypea likes this.
  12. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Am I naive in thinking that kids brought up to be decent wouldn't expect their parents to pay €500 for one?

vodkacolly likes this.
  13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I hope you're not.
    I know the video games industry generates more money than music or films and has done for years but most of that money comes from male gamers in the 20-40 yr old bracket.
    So I honestly don't know what kid is so demanding that he MUST HAVE the latest PS/Xbox. Especially as it is probably just an upgrade from the previous console that they were given.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I didn't know tbh, so I've learnt a little from the lads who subsequently posted here.

I'm okay with staff members being able to buy one, for personal use, as its a perk of the job. It would be sad to see people getting access to them, and then selling them for a lot more online, though.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

No names,no scandal but in the retail outlet a relative works in,not one of the PS5's they got in made it to the shop floor and nobody below management level had the opportunity to get one.

16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

That's a real shame, but you can't really be surprised, I suppose.... it is Ireland, after all.

What Robbie mentioned above, about having a raffle for all staff, would have been a bit better (although you'd ideally like to see customers get the chance to buy "some" of the machines that come in).

#3916 Garrett, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  17. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Kildare village- virtual queues for up to an hour in some places and some stores almost empty - madness!

18. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Richard flippin Keyes (and by extension Andy Gray)

For the first time in ages I had to resort to the internet for the game yesterday.
    Unfortunately that landed me with Being sports and the above two dopes.

In Keyes "analysis" over the incident where Cody dived for a peno, Gray is in mid finger wagging at Cody when Keyes pipes in and says "just to be balanced, we have to point out that Firmino also went down easily just minutes earlier"

Pardon?

In the incident he was referencing Bobby was pulled by Moutinho, kicked twice by Boly, and eventually went down - Cody was assassinated by invisiable ninjas! The segment ended with them agreeing that "you have to try these things"

I'd forgotten how much I disliked the man....its all come flooding back

19. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

My condolences to anyone who got stuck with them.

Hopefully a better alternative by the Spurs game

Premiere Sports weren't much better if that softens the blow.

20. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

The amount of people from north in Dublin.