This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

TV Shows to Look out for (General TV Show Chat)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Dub13, Jan 11, 2013.

1. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Best place for torrents these days?

2. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If you get the chance try and have a look at Celebrity Gogglebox from the last few weeks. Long time since I laughed as much at a TV programme. Never took to that lad Rylan Clark,I'd actually turn off programmes to avoid looking at him but him and his mother are fucking brilliant on it. I'd give them their own show.

4. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

I'd pay not to have that sap on the bosca, absolute head wrecker

Stevie S likes this.
  5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I was the same but him and his mother together on that programme are gold and theres still plenty to enjoy without them.

6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The world hot dog eating championship is on now on BT/espn. The defending champ once ate 83 slices of 10" pizza in 10 minutes.

Stevie S likes this.
  7. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Watching Jack Reacher at the moment on Amazon Prime. It’s quiet good and interesting. It’s about the CIA trying to find a terriost and the lengths they have to go through.

I think it has been out a year or so so not exactly new.

8. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

You mean Jack Ryan?

9. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

I enjoyed that Jack Ryan, Amazon have renewed it for season 3 (even though season 2 hasnt aired yet)

10. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Good show. Glad there's a few more seasons to come.
    I know there's a Jack Reacher movie character but I wasn't sure if there was a tv show too.
    I wonder if we'll see more characters make the jump from cinema to tv...."Previously on James Bond...."
    And that reminds me; how popular are 'J' names for action heroes?
    James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher, Jack Ryan, Jack Bauer, John McClane ( Die Hard) John Wick, John Rambo...

11. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

See HD rips of John Wick 3 making appearances on the torrent sites today.....not that I condone the usage of said sites of course

You forgot Jack Sparrow and the most important of all mate.....Jar Jar Binks

vodkacolly likes this.
  12. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

From the HuffPost but it's relevant here based on the last few comments. It was last updated in 2016, but based on the shows listed and the lack of JOHN Snow I'll assume it's probably years older, but it still holds true. There's a reason hero names tend to be common ones, as it's easier for us to relate to them.

I'd also add PETER Parker & TONY Start to the list.
    ------------------------------

Ever noticed that an alarming number of hero types are called Jack?

Or John?

Jack and John.

Two of television's most popular franchises, Stargate, and Lost, both feature as their leads a hero called Jack and a hero called John. In Stargate SG1 we have Jack O'Neill and on Stargate Atlantis we have John Sheppard (Sheppard/Shephard are common hero surnames due to the inherent association with flocking and leadership). In Lost we have Jack Shephard (see what I mean?) and John Locke.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Need proof?

JACK Baur, JACK Frost, JACK Ryan, JACK Burton, JACK Skellington, JACK Grimaldi, JACK Colton, JACK and the Beanstalk, JACK Traven, JACK Torrence, JACK Sparrow, JACK Slater... and those are just the Jacks I could think of while drinking my morning cup of Vanilla Chai.

Why do we feel the need to bestow the name Jack upon on so many heroes?

For that matter, why are John Does called JOHN Doe?

Let me lay it out for you...

Jack, the Archetype

An archetype is a typical example of a person or object. If you want to get Jungian on the subject (I'm partial to a bit of Carl Jung), it is a primitive mental image that has been inherited from our earliest human ancestors.

Jack as an archetype originated in Cornwall, but may have German roots originally. He's a stock character appearing in nursery rhymes and fairy tales dating back hundreds (potentially thousands) of years. Jack is usually a young adult and a bit of a trickster. He's cunning and quick, but often lazy and/or an idiot, yet usually the hero and almost always victorious. As an archetype, Jack is closely linked to the heroic archetype John (you know, good old John Smith, handsome, courageous, slightly clueless). Both Jack and John can be found going by a different name (Iván in Russia, and Hans/Hänsel in Germany) in other cultures. Jack is also found in America, where Appalachian folklore depicts him in much the same manner.

The Jack and John archetypes are likely the origin of this trend in naming our heroes Jack and John.

John Doe

If you're as obsessed with police procedural dramas and murder mysteries as I am you've likely wondered why unidentified men are called 'John Doe'. The John Doe (and for the ladies, Jane Doe) custom dates back to a rather odd (now defunct) legal process in England known as an action of ejectment. Under the old common law landowners were often confounded by their legal options where tenants who had defaulted on their rent, and squatters were concerned. The laws were technical and convoluted to the point of being little use (especially if you weren't well educated). To get around this, landlords brought before the court an action of ejection on behalf of a fake tenant, against another made up person, who had supposedly rousted the rightful tenant from their property. The court would then determine the rights of the fictitious tenant, and in so doing ascertain that the landlord owned the property. This was all the landlord needed - a court judgement that they were the owner of the property - solving their problem without the trouble of bringing complicated legal actions against the real people they wanted to evict.

Landlords frequently named their fictitious tenants John Doe. Although we have no record of the first instance of this, it almost certainly began because it was a very common name. As such, John Doe became a universal name of sorts.

If you're wondering, Hans is an incredibly common German name, while Iván is equally common in Russia.

The Every Man

I mentioned that Jack and John are 'universal' names in the sense they are used as place markers when true names don't exist or are unknown. The Every Man is an extension of this, the notion that a particular character could be anyone. The Every Man is a particularly useful device to employ when writing heroes. You want your heroes to be heroic, but you also want people to identify with them. This is often difficult to achieve when they are gadding about getting up to all sorts of heroism.

If heroism was common it wouldn't be heroic.

The majority of people will never do the things heroes get up to.

So how do you get them to relate to characters who do such spectacular things?

You make your hero an Every Man.

Give them a boring job. Make them bad with women. Build into them characteristics that are familiar to the majority of people, so that despite the heroics, they are easy to identify with.

The fastest, easiest way of achieving this is to give your character a name normal, innocuous, very familiar name. A name already intimately associated with the Every Man.

A name like Jack.

Or John.

These are not only very common names but, as we've established, hold a special place in the psyche of anyone who has grown up on English stories. Just as anyone growing up on German stories is familiar with Hans, and anyone reared on Russian literature is very familiar with Iván. Jack, the archetype, isn't a hero. In many ways, he's an anti-hero. He's just a normal guy who wants to do things his way with the least amount of effort possible.

And who doesn't relate to that?

A lot of people relate to the anti-hero far more easily than they do the hero.

Case in point: Luke Skywalker or HAN Solo?

Hans wins every time. Why? Because he's an Every Man!

The fact that we are already so familiar with the Jack archetype - even if only on a subconscious level - means the very name conjures certain images and emotions in us. So much so that you can have the most heroic man doing the most impossible feats and acting in an outlandish and/or chivalrous manner, and people will still relate to the character strongly if his name is Jack (or John).

So, the next time you're trying to figure out how to make your larger-than-life hero relatable, throw some normality in the mix. Try them with a common name, something that makes people feel your hero (or heroine!) could you anyone.

A name like Jack.

All the best heroes are called Jack.

Dub13 likes this.
  13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

What an interesting, but at the same time, dull answer.
    Thanks Elvis.

14. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

RTE's Brexit : Behind Closed Doors last night is well worth a watch

Fly on the wall filming of Guy Verhofstadt and his team dating from 2017 up as far as their reaction to the shit show in Westminster couple of months back.

Very interesting.

15. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Anyone watch Waco?

Decent cast

16. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it wasn't bad.
    The true story element always makes things more interesting.
    6 episodes was just enough.

GaryMc likes this.
  17. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Is this repeated..?

18. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I'd say RTE player your best bet. The 2 episode's are there after a quick check.

Dub13 likes this.
  19. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Folks,

I have an android box and used to use Terrarium Tv to watch the box sets.

Its gone now - any suggestions what to install that is reliable as an alternative?

SUPERFAN likes this.
  20. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

titanium tv is the new terrarium
    https://troypoint.com/ttv

liverpool4life and DalglishGold like this.