This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

2. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

https://www.thejournal.ie/maria-bailey-dean-hotel-4652506-May2019/

Another embarrassing politician living in their own bubble. Below quote is spot on and made me smile.

Labour leader Brendan Howlin said: "Most people expect that once you are over the age of four you can hold onto the ropes and don't need adult supervision.”

3. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Did a Karius but it still worked out ok.

LFCRebel likes this.
  4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

5. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Seriously?!?!

The swing was unsupervised!
    No instructions on how to use it safely?!?!

If a grown woman doesnt at this stage of her life know how to use a swing - (which incidentally isnt with a beer in one hand and reaching for something with the other hand) - a "life skill" most kids master by age 3, maybe she should just have sat in a chair like a normal person. If you saw youngsters necking cans in a local park on the swings, you'd expect it to go pear shaped at some stage.

Also like the fact that she grew up on the sideline of a GAA pitch, she plays fair, doesnt play offside.
    Missus you were obviously paying as much attention to the GAA as you were to the swing if you think theres offside in GAA.

Its all like one of those ridiculous claim stories you read about from the States - "woman sues because handbook didnt tell her NOT to dry her washed cat in the microwave"

Hope she enjoys her time as a TD, because I'd say her chances of getting re-elected next time out have taken a serious downturn

Garrett and bobby benitez like this.
  6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The saddest thing about this whole situation is that it's only her decision to pull this case that has stopped her from getting her €60k or whatever amount was deemed appropriate on the day, she clearly lied in her disclosures though as she claimed to be unable to run for 3 months despite doing a 10K run a week or two later and she has been caught out on that too. The hotel would have been certainly found to be liable and will now likely have to do something to reduce the "risk" of someone else injuring themselves on these swings.

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Did you not listen to the interview? They weren't lies, they were errors that would have been rectified before the final report was submitted.

Garrett likes this.
  8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

claim cheats cheat us all.
    stick that on the side of a bus Leo ye prick.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Somebody posted a link to her dads wikipedia page and I had a look....she's not licking it off the stones. Who's giving her PR advice though? It's hard to imagine she could have handled the situation any worse right from the beginning to now.

bobby benitez likes this.
  10. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

11. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Another Shooting in Coolock, becoming a warzone now.
    The Guards seem to be helpless at the minute, something needs to done..

12. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

13. LFCToohey

LFCToohey
    Expand Collapse

Incredibly shook reading the various article’s about yesterday’s court case and verdict. I hope Ana's parents have found some peace with the jury’s decision. Absoloute frieghtening stuff.

bobby benitez likes this.
  14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

seen a photo of the 2 of them last night, one looks way older than the other so he is obviously boy A. boy B looked about 10 in the photo instead of 13/14, i was reading about him yesterday and when he was previously in custody he asked to play with lego, the first boy ever held there to ask for lego to play with.

15. LFCToohey

LFCToohey
    Expand Collapse

It will be interesting to see how much their sentences differ if any at all. Boy B seemed to be manipulated (in a way) and was nearly trying to impress Boy A to go ahead with the plans but deep down I don’t think he really thought a girl was going to be raped and murdered at his expense (Maybe I’m completely off here). It did surprise me a bit that he was done for murder.

Having said all that a jury who heard all sides to this have made the decision that he was guilty and i trust that.

He seems to have done himself no favours by changing his story numerous times and not telling the truth from the get go.

16. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

A crime correspondent named one of them yesterday on air by accident when talking to Neil Prenderville on Redfm here in Cork. Poor man went quirt and i interview was cut immediately.

17. prendy

prendy
    Expand Collapse

The Irish Times had a very long but well written article laying out the whole investigation and subsequent trial. Well worth a read, I'd say it's still available on their site.
    Boy B would not have been charged if he hadn't spoken when interviewed. Boy A seemed to be a psycho.
    Gardaí get some amount of stick but they handled this extremely difficult and sensitive case really well.

Hard to believe 12-13 year olds could do such a thing.

18. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Here's the link to the Irish Times piece.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...gel-murder-trial-the-complete-story-1.3929570

prendy likes this.
  19. LFCToohey

LFCToohey
    Expand Collapse

Really well written and in depth journalism. As you said no comment all the way and Boy B wouldn’t of been charged.. Crazy stuff!

20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator