This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Thought I'd throw this up here and see what the interest is.
    Always loved the oul running meself but had to stop for well over a year cos of a back injury.started back last December after getting the all clear from the doc and so far so good.it's the best form of exercise in my opinion,I cycle and swim also but they don't come close to the feeling you get after a run.
    Anyone else run regularly?

2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I used to do and loads, loved it, and it helped with all the sports I used to play. A few bad injuries put me out of action. And then got lazy, and now just can't get motivated to go.

Any tips on motivating yourself Willie?

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Can't say I do to be honest,I just really look forward to me runs no matter what the weather.I suppose It's like a drug.

4. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

You could set yourself some sort of goal. Some short term goals and an over all long term aim or something like that.

5. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I used to be the same, running in the rain used to be the best craic, always felt great after.

I've tried all that, and it doesn't work to be honest. I think I'll just have to get off the couch and get outside, and hope that kick starts something.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I’m prone to the bouts of laziness myself and unfortunately there’s no magic formula but what I will say is that the first one is always the hardest. Once you get passed the mental block and actually get started it’s so much easier. The thoughts of doing it are always so much harder than doing it.

If you’ve time this evening don’t even put it off, decide that you’re going to get home throw on the shorts and go for a 5 minute run. You’ll probably end up doing 3 or 4 times that.

7. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

The hardest thing is starting again! I live close to a sandy beach so going to start jogging there soon!

Feels great when you keep at it for a while though

8. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

ive found since I kicked the smokes almost a year ago that my tolerance for running has increased ten fold. before I'd really struggle with doing 2-2.5k and be bolloxed after it

now I've built up the tolerance to do 10k a couple of times a week. this was a gradual thing that I worked with last year. found the nike + very good for mapping runs and tracking progress.

find it a great release after work. not into the gym myself. prefer the outdoors with some hopping tunes on my ipod from Digweed and the likes to spur me on.

9. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Had knee op in 2007 which stopped me playing football and impact running and the likes but got knee checked last year and doc said I can do a 10k if I ease up to it. So did port tunnel in 54.40, I was well chuffed with that as my target was under an hour, I'm doing the Kildare 10k in may so hoping to break 50 min mark. I got below 52 min for 1st time on Tuesday, did a 8k in 41 today but knee really felt it, shoulda gave myself minimum 3 day gap between runs, gona lay off it till Monday now.
    Anyway good idea for thread willie, I hope to try get into routine of doing 90-100k a month, but find it very boring as I run alone all the time and am up for work at 3-4am most days and do be bolloxed

10. STEVE1978

STEVE1978
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Some impressive times there Richie.
    Im only after gettin into it meself, the 5aside tournament really hit home how unfit i am. My biggest downfall is the smokes, just cant give them up at all, and it shows after a run/walk.
    Determined to stick at it tho.

11. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I don't dislike it, but we have been doing a lot of it in Bootcamp (all outdoor) as they ground hasn't been great to do much else with the weather.

It was getting a bit boring as it was the same run every class but now it's brighter in evening, we moved to another park with massive woods beside it.

Last night we done 6k in the woods, more like cross country but it was great as it was different. We do stop every 1 1/2k to do press ups , dips, jacks etc where you do mange to catch your breath.
    My prob will be in another couple of weeks having to do it without the stops

If he keeps changing the route in the woods I'll enjoy it more I'd say

12. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I did my first sub 45min 10k there at the start of the week,some pace not sure how much more time I can knock off that.I run 5 days a week and would normally do a 10k on Mon,Wen & Fri with the other days been fast 5k.

I was stuck in or around the 48 min mark for a while,then I ran for 2 weeks solid with a decent incline took the incline of and ran like an Everton wife to beat my PB.

13. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Don't think I would be doing it as much if I was doing it on my own, defo better with a few alright

14. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

I'm just 4 weeks into the coach to 5k app. I used to detest running but I'm actually looking forward to it now. Just bought myself a pair of New Balance there the ugliest things I've ever seen but super comfortable. Nowhere near the pace any of you lad's are at. I'm running up country lanes to avoid being overtaken by auld wans with shopping trolleys. I'd like to think ill get up to 10k at a decent pace at some stage.

15. irishman123

irishman123
    Expand Collapse

Done my first 10k on the 17 Feb done it around 55 min Mark really happy with that run by myself most of the time and do on average 6 k four times a week really enjoying it I have to say

16. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Lads what should an average 10k run/jog take? And also what's the best free iPhone app to use?

17. Bez Bing

Bez Bing
    Expand Collapse

Love outdoor running, great exercise for body and mind.
    Nothing better that getting out for a run after a tough day at work and just flushing the mind.

Doing the NYC half on Sunday, should be a good race.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Paul,give the 2 slow run/1 hard run a week a try for a couple of weeks,I bet you shave even more time off your pb for 10 k.
    If not just go back to what you've been doing.
    Anyone entered in any runs coming up?
    Registered for the fit magazine 10 k today,doing the spar 5 k on good Friday and that Dublin at night 10 k at the end of April too.

19. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Doing Kildare 10k in May, it starts on the curragh race course, will aim for another in August, probably the tunnel if its on, then another 10k October, 3 a year is enough for me.
    I'll have a bash at the tallaght 5k also around October.
    Just seem the tallaght 5k is May 5th

#19 trucker, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  20. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Remember lads that you can't beat a good high intensity interval session once a week to help improve your fitness. Great for the days that you can't spare a lot of time.