This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

HBO'S True Detective

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by south, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Aido82

Aido82
    Expand Collapse
    JFT96

i finished this last night. pointless season. What actually happened in the season?

2. torrard89

torrard89
    Expand Collapse

Thought it was ****ing shite. Very hard to actually say what went on. So bad compared to the first.

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

4. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I still kinda want to watch it as haven't yet, now more out of curiosity. Wasn't a massive fan if first season though

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

5. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

Yeah season 2 was a complete shambles. It's clear Pizzallato had one good idea in him and it was season 1 but that was aided by a great director and 2 brilliant lead performances. Season 2 had a terrible story poor performances and shite direction, though Farrell I think has escaped this mess intact as he was decent.

I said last year that Fargo was better then True Detective and the season 2's of each show will prove it when Fargo S2 airs. HBO gave Pizzallato a deadline for the show FX said they could take as long as they needed to do Fargo season 2 right and they took over 18 months.

6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Just finished watching season 2. Don't have a clue really what went on and i am glad i am not the only one who thought that. Waste of 8 hours of my life i will never get back.

7. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

If it wasn't for the first season I'd have gave up on this after 4 episodes. Pure tripe. Painfully bad acting from Vaughan and that redhaired bird. Farrell was the only decent thing in it.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

8. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Have 2 episodes left and to be honest I'm finding hard to justify wasting another 2 hours of my life on this. It's so bleak it's actually depressing. Not a patch on the first series.

9. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It was hard work but I finished it, totally lost from ep 1-4, was hard work!

Vaughan and his wife's conversations drove me insane.

4-8 were good I thought but predictable.

The only scene that got me was when Farrell was deciding to go and see his son, I was shouting don't do it, don't do it :D

Expected more from the ending..wanted to see the downfall and arrests :rolleyes:

10. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

They talked pure shite and she pulled Eric Zoolander faces in every scene.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

11. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

:D

12. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

All the signs are for a season 3 but if they do it they need one director and a team of writers. It took Pizzallato 3 years effectively to write season 1 as it was originally meant to be a novel but season 2 he had 6 months and was starting from scratch and it showed.

McConaughey said he'd come back so do a sequel to season one, Pizzallato come up with the idea and the team of writers put it together otherwise it's going to be another mess.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Finished this a couple of days ago and I'm glad to see everyone had the same opinion as I did. I thought for the first few episodes that it was just going over my head or something but it was just senseless stuff.

Vince Vaughan was in the intern last night on RTE with Owen Wilson in something he suits, he cannot play a serious role and the whole series suffered for trying to make him something that he is not, the f*king scenes with his wife were some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

I didn't think Farrell and McAdams (who was guilty of really overacting at times) were too horrific but the plot was absolutely terrible and the tragedy that was Vince V destroyed any chance of it being a good show. It's incomparable to the first series and while I believe that Harrelson and McConaghy would have improved this one it was too bad for them to make it anything other than watchable.

14. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Finished season 2 last night. Suffered hugely by comparison with the first season. Thought some of the dialogue and the sound quality was terrible. The main russian mobster is from Kerry. :D As just another cop show it was actually better than a lot of the weekly instalment shows out there but it thought it was cleverer than it was. Fairly bleak but it was meant to be. Farrell and Vaughan were never going to get out without suffering for redemption. I couldn't believe McAdams as a hardass. Farrell was the best thing in it and he has been poor in a lot of things so credit to him for that. I didn't think Vaughan was that bad in the role. All the supporting characters were little more than cliches. The mayor was terrible. It was watchable but I think after the critical 11 out of 10 that the first season got this was always going to get panned. Run of the mill stuff but certainly not as bad as some shows I have watched.

15. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Season 3 is out today. It’s on Sky Atlantic and the usual spots too.

16. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thinking about given S3 a go, I gave up on S2 after 2 and seen all the bad reviews.

17. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

First episode was very good I thought..

18. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Think I will hold off for 3/4 and see if they are all getting good reviews. I said I would never go back but well here I am.

Liverpool-law and redabbey like this.
  19. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

S1 was one of the finest seasons of a tv show ever.
    S2 was written and produced in a hurry to cash in on S1.. and it showed.
    They have taken their time with S3 and I expect big things.
    But as with all tv shows, I will wait until it's finished before I start watching.

Dub13 likes this.
  20. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Great acting by the 2 leads and decent tension but overall finding it a bit boring if i'm being honest