This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Son has just finished two weeks restricted movements as a teacher had it, all the kids had to be tested twice and were all clear thankfully

Hse very slow with the initial tracing and contacting families but once the first appointment was made it was all very efficient thankfully

Testing centre were great with small kids too, we had results both times around 30 hours after the test

2. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully it'll be one of those miraculous everyday bugs kids get Padski - you know the ones where theyre sick as a small hospital for 11.5 hours, then jump up and announce theyre "feeling better now Daddy" - leaving you wrung out like an old tea towel.

Great news Gerry. Have to say they (testers) are brilliant with kids. A niece and nephew. both on the Autism spectrum has to be tested and their parents were up the wall worried about firstly the obvious - were they positive, and secondly how they were going to get he kids to allow the test in the first place. Whoever the woman was, she was a marvel. Had the kids attention and trust in no time flat, explained the process, with a self demo - and the kids allowed her to do the necessary

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

People won’t be happy with restrictions from next week
    Sounds like
    - pubs and restaurants won’t open till later in month
    - 5k will be lifted but intercounty travel won’t be allowed until week before Xmas
    - 3 households can meet over Xmas

4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

That'll do me tbh. 3 households nice one. You'd have to be seriously struggling with the boozer to want to enter with the place full its allowed capacity with young crowd. I'm absolutely generalising of course but I reckon most old arses like myself have wrote the year off socially.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm okay with it to be honest, I'd have liked restaurants back open but the pubs thing is a huge problem, we already know they won't open responsibly so it's hard to know what to do. I'm looking forward to getting to spend some time with family over Christmas and can only do that comfortably if case numbers stay low and that requires some restrictions staying in place.

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Think it’s an unfair generalisation on pubs to be honest. 3 folks I know well own pubs in Monaghan. They spent an absolute fortune on getting ready to come out of first lockdown, them and their customers stuck to the rules. They understand they had to go back to lockdown but if other businesses allowed to open, we should then be held back again. People are going congregate in December, mostly in houses where tables won’t be separated, likely won’t be sanitiser everywhere and they will drink to all hours. Pubs would have restrictions in place and close 11.

If the morons in government had any initiative they would have looked at an enforcement group for pubs/restaurants that’s single job was to inspect them 7 days a week. Massive fines for breaches would ensure compliance. That would keep a lot of people in work, improve mental health of people to get out and a about, Instead they throw massive money at Garda checkpoints that are just for show. My wife has a small business and travels for deliveries most days. Regularly gets stopped and never once challenged about her journey. Would love to see the money spent on these checkpoints since October and what they actually achieved.

I myself would be reluctant enough to go a pub unless I knew it was going to be a safe environment, so it’s not like I am mad to get in one, but looking at it from an owners perspective, they are an easy target for the government to look like they are being ‘strict’.

Garrett, south, vodkacolly and 5 others like this.
  7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

"The truth matters."
    #washyourhands

8. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The idea of level 5 was to drop the numbers so low that we could go the pub at Christmas.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

This is nice.

mushypea likes this.
  10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying the pubs shouldn't be open. When it comes to what should or shouldn't be happening with businesses as a whole, I stopped having an opinion a good while back. But the argument that "people should be allowed to decide themselves if they should risk going to the pub" is popping up a lot now and that's not a valid argument imo because this virus won't just impact the people who pick it up in the pub,they'll spread it to others who didn't take that risk. It shouldn't be a decision based on who's willing to take a risk and who isn't because one of those groups choice will be taken away by the others.

I do believe it's unfair on pub owners how they're being treated. As you say they should be given the same opportunity to make their premises as safe as restaurants are being given. If I was to guess I'd say the fact they're not is not about scientific data specific to their premises,but anecdotal evidence and certain peoples opinions of how a lot of pubs would operate. I'd also say they've decided that compliance can be policed if you keep the numbers of premises that are open down and by sheer weight of numbers,pubs who can't operate like a restaurant are getting unfairly penalised because of that. I can take or leave pubs but if they opened and I fancied going to one,I would. I reckon I'm in more danger going to work every day than I would be from a visit to a pub,because I don't know about anybody else's work place but in mine the only difference between now and pre covid is that there's hand sanitizers. In the first lockdown services were cut which meant everybody was on the premises a lot less and when you were the numbers in there were tiny but going back to level 5 this time made absolutely no difference to what was happening.

GaryMc likes this.
  11. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

We made harder decisions which impacted on peoples lives more and are probably seen as more oppressive than many other countries but we have twice fought back from what looked like ominous situations and come out the other side albeit while the country is bearing a very heavy economic burden. The UK have shown they were absolutely incapable or unwilling to tackle this virus so I'm delighted that they're going to roll this vaccine out as early as possible because it's quite hard to grasp the number of people that are dying and getting very sick in the UK from this.

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The vaccine coming on line so quickly is brilliant news. I'm still not sure as to what level of lockdown we should of been looking at for the last few months,and there were many mistakes made as in most countries,but whatever happens from here I won't be criticising our government for using lockdowns to suppress the virus. I understand there will be other effects long term because of it,and there should be enquiries into the finer details,but overall I don't think anybody can say there was a better solution than lockdowns,especially with the vaccine becoming available within the year. To use a football analogy,the ball was the danger so you need to deal with that first and then try to deal with the players in space after.

In Sweden there's thousands of people dead who would otherwise be alive now if the cunt running the show there didn't think he was far more clever than everybody else. He didn't stop the economic damage,he didn't stop similar kinds of effects on their health service,and it didn't lead to a milder second wave than all of their neighbours like he said it would. I don't know how it would sit ethically to send that fucker to prison because I'm sure he thought he was acting in everybody's best interests,but if somebody close to me died of covid in Sweden,I'd want him sent down.

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Blessed with all of the resources that Sweden have in their healthcare system and the culturally significant trends that they have towards individual living etc. Sweden should have been able to keep their deaths almost at next to nothing had they chosen to actually tackle the virus. They wouldn't even have had to make large sacrifices as they already don't do a lot of things that the Irish and English do like packing ourselves like Sardines into bars and restaurants, a level 3 type situation in Sweden would have probably been sufficient to keep everything under control but like you said they wanted to seem smarter than everyone and tackle it their own way and now they're actually one of the worst in the world in terms of deaths per 1000 when absolutely everything was in their favour in tackling this virus head on and living with it quite easily.

My brother lives in Malmo and even with everything that's going on there nobody is still asked to wear a mask and everything is still going ahead pretty as normal which of course now has them sitting at around 5000 cases a day being diagnosed in a country that isn't even really going full steam ahead on testing.

babbsnads likes this.
  15. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

China is proof of that.
    In fairness, no other country in the world has the system in place to deal with an outbreak like China does but they contained it and controlled the spread with strict lockdowns and travel restrictions.

babbsnads likes this.
  16. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

The Swedish health care system must run a like a primed Rolls-Royce all things considered so

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sweden today updated their do not travel list for Europe, I couldn't fathom why they'd got Ireland in red and UK in green but of course their only recommendation is not to go to Ireland because we have restrictions in place and has nothing to do with public health concern. They really are still looking at this whole pandemic differently to the rest.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Seems a strange plan to roll vaccines out to elderly people first when by and large it hasn't been tested on that age group.

Garrett likes this.
  19. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Cant imagine it would be easy to get a test group for the elderly. By definition theyre high risk, so you cant really start testing on them. It was always going to be a "running test roll out"
    We can only hope

Garrett likes this.
  20. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Friend of mine texted me today. His son off school as covid case in his class,hse where meant to contact the kids. Going day 8 no word from track and trace. But I understand they flat out with the local hospital.