This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Alisson

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Ron1892, Jul 19, 2018.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

He just goes to show that the best way to get good performances from your goalkeeper is to buy a good goalkeeper. Polishing the rough diamond approach doesn't really translate to that position the way we make it work everywhere else on the pitch. Poor John Achterberg had people calling for his job left,right and centre because he couldn't turn sub standard goalies into Lev Yashin.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't swap him for anybody but holy fuck,he really needs to develop a new technique for penalties. He's woeful.

Beano87 and Irishkop96 like this.
  3. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

I had a feeling the pen would go down the middle on Saturday, was shouting it at the TV screen. It seems a popular pen these days and with Maupay missing the target completely too that might have been on the taker's mind

4. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

I agree he's not been great on pens but he must be an intimidating presence or something only 2 from 5 have scored against him in the league.

5. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I think one of the reasons he or a keeper dives is that they hope to b able to use their feet if the taker goes down the middle.
    It means even if the keeper goes the wrong way he has a chance.
    An that's all it is "a chance"
    The new rule or scrutinity of watching keeper stay on his line doesnt make things any easier either

6. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Personally think diving and hoping to guess the right way won't work against most penalty takers. The original rules if I am not mistaken is that once the penalty taker had started moving forward to the ball they couldn't stop their forward motion. This is were Aldridge came up with his stutter type penalty. Nowadays it seems you can stop altogether, do, hop, skip and jumps as a penalty taker but the keeper is being watched even closer on the line. Once the penalty taker has the nerve to wait for the keeper to move they can stroke it home. The best method for penalties for me is to not move until the taker kicks the ball, at least you are forcing them to make a decision and they may fluff their lines more.

7. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

In professional football though the keeper wouldn't have time to dive after the ball when it was already kicked, would they?

8. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

A lot of players seem to put the ball down the centre or just left or right as they are sure the keeper has gone in a certain direction. It is in some way a lower risk than aiming to go tight in the corner high or low. I just think if the keeper stays until the last minute he gives himself a better chance. Wasn't there a Mayo goalkeeper a few years ago in an FAI cup game that saved all the penalties taken against him, normal game time and during a shoot out. When asked he said he just waited and reacted.

9. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Rumoured Alisson has tested positive for covid
    Hopefully just BS

10. Beano87

Beano87
    Expand Collapse

Ya theres a few pages on Facebook sayin this. Hopefully all untrue

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

In a match i think its best to guess. In a shoot out stay in the middle, normally at least 2 will go down the middle, worst case scenario is you have got into their head and will force them to change their mind. You should also save any shit penalty.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I bet you Alison was brilliant at savings penalties before he joined us then he got to work with the ledgendary John Achterburg who is slowly chipping away at Alison starting with penatlies first :)

Dubfan and babbsnads like this.
  13. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Interesting you say that. @babbsnads is a big defender of Achterburg but also has a massive bee in his bonnet over Alison's penalty technique. That is one area a goalkeeper coach can improve and he's getting worse*

*despite the fact opponents keep missing.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Well, a big defender of everyone at Liverpool when I think the criticism is unfair,you may or may not have noticed I do it for others too,even the ones I don't particularly rate so you probably shouldn't confuse me defending somebody with my opinion of their ability. I also don't recall saying Allison is getting worse*

But if you think Achterberg needs to do more to try and get Alison to dive the right way for a penalty or two,I won't argue with you pal. Its the same Achterberg that worked with Mingolet,and he was good at going the right way if I remember correctly so maybe he can help him. I never have Achterberg credit for that by the way,the same way I don't give him credit for Alison being a great keeper, but having called out the hypocrisy of the Achterberg out brigade,I think that's only fair.

I'm not sure with the amount of penalties Alison has faced since he arrived, I'd describe it as "opponents keep missing" ,I mean a penalty in a shootout is still a penalty right? But they've missed a few lately,I'll give you that and if Allison's reputation or size has played a part in that,imagine how intimidating he could be if he started going the right way now and again? We'd never concede from a peno he faces again.

At this point though,my main concern is he managed to avoid covid. Hopefully Achterberg was on the ball and advised him to treat it like a peno.

bobby benitez likes this.
  15. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

babbsnads likes this.
  16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yep,overall its a very small thing but its like an earworm,or whatever the equivalent of that is for your eyes. Once I noticed he goes the wrong way a lot,I couldn't stop noticing and it became frustrating. If players keep missing then it won't be frustrating anymore,it will still be fascinating.

Speaking of earworms,I saw a tweet last week about how Solly March is one of those names that commentators always have to say the whole thing. You don't want that stuck in your head when you're watching Brighton,because that lad was spot on and once you notice it,you can't stop noticing.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

On the analysts thing,that could be a fair point. I'd also say keepers are at a massive disadvantage,especially with the crackdown on leaving your line. But you shouldn't be able to get a read on a good penalty taker before you go onto the pitch,even if you probably can with some players. Another thing is that the technique of waiting for a goalkeeper to move and going the other way is very common now.

18. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I was only breaking your balls, I thought you deserved a bit after going after the GAA lads.

On this issue I place zero blame on any keeper not saying a penalty. Alison as a shot stopper or natural reflexes isn't as good as others, there would be several keepers better than him in these aspects. His main skill is his positioning, always in the right place to make things look easy or stop it happening before it becomes a shot. With penatlies his main skill set is essentially defunct. He appears lucky which is enough for me.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I didn't take it any other way pal,I just returned the serve.

Allison is arguably the best keeper in the world in my eyes,as I said before,I wouldn't swap him for anybody. On penos individually I'm with you, but there has to be some level of skill and technique applied to what a keeper does in that situation. I'll take lucky over good too,but luck runs out. Eventually somebody is going to say "this keeper goes early every time" and it becomes an easier job for the taker.

The players in the main who are missing,is because they're trying to be too precise,and I honestly think he intimidates them into that. But I can't see that lasting,because as Twixfix points out,there's analysts involved. I still won't expect him to save any peno on an individual basis,I just want him to give himself a chance of saving it. But I'm fully aware we could have the best peno stopper ever in goal and conceded the same amount or even more of the penos he's faced.

bobby benitez likes this.
  20. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Apparently of the last 9 pens Alison has faced in the Premier league and Serie A only 3 have ended up in the back of the net!

diceyreilly likes this.