This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brendan Rodgers - Former Liverpool Manager

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by RedArmagh, May 30, 2012.

1. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

I'll be the first to admit I hadn't watched the actual presser and just took snippets off twitter.

I still stand by the comment about last season being an over achievement & us being where we should be being ludicrous. The money available in the summer and we never signed a proper replacement for Suarez shouldn't be an excuse.

2. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

The more i see and hear BR the more i realise he's not the man to take us forward, he just does'nt have the mentality for it. To suggest a big club like Liverpool "overachieved" last season with 2nd while at the same time sayin 5th is"par" with where we should be shows the way of thinking, last season there was no such words out of him. We should be up at the top end year in year out not battling for minor positions. That "tactical genius" jibe is embarrassing for any manager of liverpool, he was just winning games which is whats expected at this club of him here. I really hope the owners see sense in the summer and get a manager who has all the skills needed to help push this huge club forward.

3. Clerk

Clerk
    Expand Collapse

I tend to agree with his 'sentiment' but I would like to say to him what's with the abysmal performances against United and Villa ? 2 woeful performances that if we had won could have changed the whole season. It's worrying to be producing performances like that on the big days.

Have to say I would like him to get another season albeit his transfers have been very hit miss but personally would definitely give him another season and hopefully things start to pick up next season, i.e. we actually win something and come top 4.

4. BretHart

BretHart
    Expand Collapse

I don't agree, right now he's just trying to say what he needs to keep his job, and he is somewhat right in us overachieving last year...it was really that we got very lucky with injuries and had a much smaller schedule to play. I think his turnaround after the awful start and our progress since Christmas shows that he has the right mentality, he didn't just crumble. We effectively lost 2 20+ goal a season strikers in Suarez and Sturridge (constantly injured), it's amazing the difference one world class player can make to a team and I feel that Brendan can improve on this position next season, by how much no one knows but with a good pre-season I'm sure he can work out the right system for what he has. A system as well as general settling in can massively change people's perception on a players talent and I think we could see some good coming from players like Ibe and Markovic and better coming from Moreno, Coutinho, Sterling. I'm not sure if he's a good manager defensively tho'.

5. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Surely we can't carting out the we lost Sturridge & Suarez excuse? We spent over £100 million quid.

We lost a world class player and didn't replace him and we were well aware of Sturridge's injuries.

As the weeks go on and on that transfer window is looking worse. Apart from Can & Lallana I wouldn't be too disappointed to see all the other summer signings sold on.

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Watched the full press conference there now. Saw some of the quotes in isolation on the Twitter machine earlier and they are totally out of context.

I don't really disagree with anything be said. Definitely over achieved last season and if you look at the wage bill and quality of player at the club , 5th/6th is on a par with that.

Some people just don't like the way he handles the media, I myself think he has been over trained in how to handle the media, however I think in grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. Houllier used to come out with some aweful guff and Rafa had his moments.

Mourinho talks nothing but bullshit in his press conferences but because he is winning no one cares. It's nearly a running joke.

7. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Ok so a club as big as liverpool that have won all that when have won now feel 2nd is a over achievment and 5th is about our level, god we really have lowered our expectations under BR havent we. Yes we lost both Suarez and Strurrideg for the season, but we were without Sturridge in Jan aswell did we invest in anyone, nop we brought a kid back from loan, that was as far as our winning mentality stretched mid season. You speak of settling in period if you look at the top of the goal scoring stats atm moment both Sanchez and Costa both also had settling periods, so how are our players any different. Also the saints who we helped with their transfers last summer were one of the best teams this season yes they have faded but they have had alot of new players and manager yet they spend most of the season in and about the top 4, again hows that different to us.

8. gowinit6times

gowinit6times
    Expand Collapse

Par for the season wasn't winning one game out of 6 in an easy CL group. Nor was it exiting the EL to Besiktas with a whimper. Nor was it finishing 5th in the League (presuming we stay there). It was par for the course in his first season but not after year 3 after he was handed a sizeable war chest last summer with which to reconstruct a good side.

I get the fact that he is under pressure and watching that interview I think it showed. If this was a manager who had won trophy a before, he would have less need to restate his credentials for the job and talk himself up. That is why the FA cup defeat to Villa was an epic fail. He had a glorious chance to win a trophy and elevate his standing with the players and the fans. It is also why the players reaction to the defeat on Sunday will show whether or not the players are 100% behind the manager.

He probably realises he may never ever get a better chance to win a trophy which would have been vital for his career progression. Harry Redknapp and Steve McLaren got high profile jobs on the back of English cup success. If Rodgers leaves Liverpool either this summer or in a years time he will never pick up a job as big again.

9. cally

cally
    Expand Collapse

But you said his a fantastic coach. Surely as the clubs aim is to "coach" young talent his the guy for the job

10. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

Your mistaking what you want Liverpool to be with the reality of the situation.

11. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I dont think i said he was a "fantastic" i said he was good being good at something and being fantastic at something are 2 different things. Anyway a page back you said he was out of he's depth, thats a drastic turn around in such a short space of time ??

12. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Yes your right and the reality of the situation is BR is not the man for us going forward anyone who thinks otherwise is blinded by loyality.

13. cally

cally
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying his a fantastic coach. In fact his not a good coach and he is completely out of his depth

14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I thought he dealt well with some difficult questioning. He is hardly going to say he made a balls of it and that he is disappointed in the summer signings.

One thing he did allude to is the model of bringing in young players and developing them. If FSG continue to go down that route, Then I don't care if Pep is in charge, you are not winning the league or even challenging.

As I said earlier in the week Rogers wanted Costa, Mithyitrian, Salah, William, Sanchez and they are only the ones we know about. The club could not get the deals done and Rogers has followed the model by bringing in young players for sizeable fees and mid range wages (Can, Moreno and Markovic) Balotelli looks like he was perhaps brought in over his head.

Lovren was a bad buy no doubt and Lallana gets injured the minute he looks like he could be something. When he did get money on more established players he got it wrong. I would imagine though those guys are earning what the city and chelsea reserves are getting so again i think until the big wages are forked, no manager will get LFC challenging.

15. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

How is he not a good coach ?

16. BretHart

BretHart
    Expand Collapse

Our expectations haven't dropped since having BR, our aim is obviously to be first but we can't be unrealistic when we're not at the races in monetary terms. We had been put in a great position squad value wise by Rafa until asset stripping came in with Hicks and Gillett, followed by further devaluing of our squad by Roy Hodgson.

That's why we need to take a different approach and I think long term investment in youth is the right call, however it is risky as young players might not settle as fast. We went for Sanchez and couldn't get him and tried for Costa the season before so I do believe we can spot the talent but we haven't been able to bring them in for whatever reason (probably wages).

Our players aren't different, there is just a lot of players that take time to settle and a lot of young players that come in and need time, Costa and Sanchez are two of the best players in the world right now and I wouldn't have been certain they would settle so fast. Sometimes it doesn't happen. Yes we knew about Sturridge's injury problems and Balotelli was a terrible gamble that didn't pay off. I don't take your point on Southampton because you're able to suggest that yes they faded but they had a lot of new players....we had a lot of new players and currently we sit above them, yes we should be sitting above them and I'd rather be closer to the top 4 at the end of the season than spending time up high and then crumbling.

I don't blame Brendan for not bringing anyone in in January as it surely wasn't his choice, I feel he's been unlucky trying to compete with a much tougher schedule this year and has had a lot of key injuries while trying to bed in a lot of players. I have faith that Can, Lallana, Moreno and Markovic can and will be big players under Rodgers if we keep him. Balotelli and Lovren were big flops, I've no faith in Mario turning it around as his atitude seems all wrong and everyone seems to think Lovren never had it which may be true but honestly I haven't seen enough of him prior to Liverpool to say. Origi is to come next season and with Ibe coming in I think that we'll already be much better prepared for next season, bring in 1 or 2 bits of quality now and I think we can definitely go for top 4, if we were to somehow sign a world class striker I think anything is possible. I don't see any manager that I feel would be work spunking money on Rodgers settlement to get in, Rodgers is a good coach and I don't feel there's that many that in the same conditions would do any better. He definitely is someone that could win the title in an unorthodox fashion (i.e not by being the one to amass the biggest squad of superstars).

17. cally

cally
    Expand Collapse

How is his coaching of markovic, can and moreno going? These are three players which were purchased so they could be coached into world class players. As of now all three have gone backwards

Tell me who he has coached to be the real deal?

18. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

You can get whoever you want to manage Liverpool. It doesn't change the fact that there will be four clubs with far bigger resources. United’s wage bill is 90m a year bigger than ours. 90 fooking million. The best players get paid the most money. The teams with the most money get more of the best players and the teams with the best players win most of the trophies.

If you don't think Liverpool over achieved last season then your going to have to brace yourself for a lot of disappointment going forward.

I've been watching Liverpool for nearly 30 years and was last season was some of the best football I've ever seen the club play.

19. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

So i asked you how he was a bad coach and you picked out 3 young players who came from a different league and country as a way of proving your point.. ahh ok !! Just look back at the post you mis quoted there while and you'll see my point on how he's a good coach.

#8219 flies, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  20. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

But would you want to see the club pushing on from last season or are you happy with us to be a flash in the pan every now and then ?