This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lucas

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by muller, Aug 3, 2009.

1. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

If we we're offered 8 million I'd take it and use it try sign Defour or Banega. If they are serious with their 3-5 million bid then they can **** off. We wouldn't find a better replacement with that paltry fee.

2. Ronbergundy

Ronbergundy
    Expand Collapse

I agree 100%. Lucas wouldnt even get in the match day squads of any of the top six premiership teams.

3. kingofthekop

kingofthekop
    Expand Collapse

I partly agree. He has more bad days then good. Im not gonna say anymore against him until he gets a few games under Roy. Maybe a different manager will get more out of him

4. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

thats a load of bull.

he was a young player coming from south america and took time to settle in.

last season he was very good. people seem to forget the times lucas has played great for the team, they concentrate more on when lucas plays bad and all the $hit£ comes.

lucas was to similar to mascherano and it was never goin to work playin them together especially at home. lucas in my opinion would be a great squad player to come in and do a job, every team needs players like this in the squad. IE the time alonso was injured lucas came in and performed brilliantly at old trafford and we won 4-1. the week later alonso is fit again and comes in for lucas we win 5-0 against villa.

im sick of the lucas crap, its worn thin at this stage.

5. MutantNinjaSkrtel

MutantNinjaSkrtel
    Expand Collapse
    In Raga We Trust

Dead right.He's an easy target and always gets picked on when we don't win regardless of how he's played.Sick of the myths about him not being able to pass,giving away too many free kicks and being the least skillful brazilian player in history:rolleyes:He's a very solid player and discussing whether he should start or not is the least of our worries at the moment.

6. iwillkopit

iwillkopit
    Expand Collapse

lucas give him another year under RH.see how he does no harm done if he stays

7. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Lucas looking to stay put

Lucas Leiva is paying little attention to speculation regarding his future as he is happy at Liverpool.

The Brazilian midfielder has been linked with a move to Italy over recent weeks, with his standing at Anfield having been cast into doubt.

The much-derided 23-year-old was a firm favourite of former Reds boss Rafa Benitez, but the Spaniard's exit has led to reports that Lucas could be moved on.

He hopes that will not be the case, believing he finally brought consistency to his game last season, and is determined to prove his worth to new manager Roy Hodgson over the coming weeks.

"I'm happy in Liverpool and looking forward to my fourth season," said Lucas, who is reported to have attracted interest from Palermo.
    Critics

"I hope I stay. I'm happy to play for Liverpool and to improve my performances, as I did last season.

"I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my team-mates.

"That's the most important thing. I don't know why people criticise me so much but I just try to be positive and be strong.

"I know I had a good season last season and hope it will be even better this season.

"I have to keep going and show the manager that I can play and have the quality that he expects."

Motivation

Lucas is one of only a handful of senior players currently away with Liverpool at their pre-season training camp in Switzerland.

While numbers are thin on the ground, with the majority of the squad having been involved at the World Cup, those in the fold have been given an early opportunity to acquaint themselves with Hodgson's methods.

"He seems to be very good as a coach, good with the tactical side of the game," said Lucas.

"He will help everyone but for me he has a lot of experience, he has worked with big players at big clubs so his experience will help in giving me advice to help improve my game.

"I am confident we will have a better season. When there are lots of changes new motivation comes through and I think we can do better. We will do better."

Experience

Meanwhile, Hodgson has confirmed that experienced coach Sammy Lee is set to remain at Anfield in some capacity.

Lee's role is yet to be determined, having been assistant manager to former boss Benitez, but he has been assured that he still has an important role to play in the backroom team.

"Sammy will stay here for the foreseeable future, absolutely - as long as he wants to be here," Hodgson told the Liverpool Echo.

"I have no intention of letting him go and if he wants to stay with us, he is more than welcome.

"I haven't made decisions on any [other positions] yet."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6267183,00.html

8. byrnetred

byrnetred
    Expand Collapse

cant believe its lucas 4th season, time flies ea?

good to see sammy been offered to stay

9. BretHart

BretHart
    Expand Collapse

Interview with Lucas from .tv.
    'I want to stay at Liverpool'

With the friendly action kicking off tonight in Austria, we spoke to Lucas Leiva - one of the most experienced players in the travelling party - about pre-season, his new boss and his future.

How are you finding the early days in our pre-season training camp?

It's a lovely place, we were here last season and it's a nice place to work and rest. It's a nice place to relax when we have time, but the important thing is having a good pre-season and making sure we have a better season than last year.

How was your summer?

It was really good. Of course I would have liked to be at the World Cup but it wasn't possible. Unfortunately, Brazil went out in the quarter-final, but I was happy for my teammates - Dirk and Ryan - after that game. I spent time in Brazil with family and friends and now I am back looking forward to having a good season and to helping Liverpool.

Are you happy to be back?

Yes, of course. A lot of changes have taken place over the last few weeks. I wish Rafa all the best because he was really important for me here, but now we're with Roy and I hope everybody can be happy and have a better season.

What are your early impressions of our new manager?

Really good. He seems to be very good as a coach, good with the tactical side of the game. We just want to make sure we have a better season. If everyone gets their fitness as soon as possible and the players on holiday come back and get themselves ready, then I think we will have a big chance.

Roy is obviously very experienced in the game, how much do you feel he can help a youngster like yourself to develop?

He will help everyone but for me he has a lot of experience, he has worked with big players at big clubs so his experience will help in giving me advice to help improve my game. I am feeling better every season and I hope that this season will be better again.

How different is he compared to other managers you have worked for?

I have only had three managers as a professional but I think he is similar to my first manager in Brazil. He likes to work on the shape of the team a lot, he is aware of all the small details, so we have to listen to the information he gives us and do what he wants us to do. Hopefully it will be successful.

As we know, it's a very young squad here in Switzerland - so you are one of the most experienced players, Do you help the younger lads and give them advice?

I feel old here because most of the senior lads are away. We have a lot of youngsters with us so I try to help them with the experience I have picked up from working with senior players. If I can help then it will be really good for them in the future.

What sort of advice do you give?

In training sessions I talk to them about positions and things like that. I like to talk to everyone so if someone wants to ask me a question I try to help and give him the information I have learnt. It's good to have different players here, young players who will be important in the future.

Like many players at this stage of the summer, there has been some speculation about your future. What can you tell us?

At the moment we don't know what is going to happen. I'm happy in Liverpool and looking forward to my fourth season. I hope I stay. I'm happy to play for Liverpool and to improve my performances, as I did last season. We don't know too much. There is a lot of speculation but we will see when the players all come back what will happen.

You proved a lot of people wrong with your performances last season - how confident are you that you can take another step forward this year?

My target at Liverpool always is to be positive with myself. I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my teammates. That's the most important thing. I don't know why people criticise me so much, but I just try to be positive and be strong. I know I had a good season last season and hope it will be even better this season. I have to keep going.

Are you strong-minded and take much notice of any criticism which may come your way?

I try not to read the papers because I don't see too many good things about me. I have to be strong in my mind. My only target is to be strong for myself, to feel good, feel that my performances are getting better and show the manager that I can play and have the quality that he expects. I think the fans have changed towards me.

What is your personal target for this season?

I'd like to play every game. We don't know the team Roy is thinking about starting with, but we have to show him we have the quality to be in his side.

I am confident we will have a better season. When there are lots of changes new motivation comes through and I think we can do better. We will do better.

Do you have a message for Liverpool fans?

Keep supporting us as you have always done. Believe in us and try to give us the confidence to go and win games. We will try one hundred per cent all the time in a Liverpool shirt.

Also, Purslow is a ****.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really hope Lucas is kept, we don't know what Cecil will do though.
    I think a midfield three of Lucas, Aquilani and Gerrard could be really good,
    Lucas was one of our top 3 performers last season so selling him would be another moronic move, feel sorry for him that he has had to take an incredible amount of sh*te from papers and "fans"....the ones that were booing him and the people that don't watch the player honestly and just make remarks like "na biy he's sh*t" can f*ck off.

10. DanielSwagger89

DanielSwagger89
    Expand Collapse

11. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thats was a great read:D

12. BretHart

BretHart
    Expand Collapse

I actually don't find that twitter funny in the slightest, full of bullshit myths about the player and you can see from the interview above that the guy gets enough of an unfair doing from everyone already....he's put up with it without moaning, he's shown commitment and class and doesn't deserve the shit he has to take.

13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I think its harmless fun myself.
    A lot of it is ripping the p1ss out of other people, not Lucas.

14. smiley1987

smiley1987
    Expand Collapse

For all the stick he has taken he is happy to be here which in my mind speaks alot about his character as a player and a person in general and he was due to captain the side in the game against al hilal

From the LFC website
    Talking of Lucas, he was telling us this morning about his disappointment at seeing last night's game being called off. Not just because it would have been the Reds' first run-out of the season, and a first chance to start building match fitness, but also because his first appearance as Liverpool captain was dashed by the rain

15. sultana

sultana
    Expand Collapse

Got a text from Rafa... "stop texting me." haha

It's harmless enough. I do feel bad though with the complete abuse he takes considering he always does his best. Having said that it doesn't make him a good player. Hope Roy moves him on asap.

16. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

i tink he is a good squad player and we should keep him.. tats jus my opinion though!!

17. torrard89

torrard89
    Expand Collapse

I think it would be a big mistake to let Lucas go as some others have said he was one of our better players last season and has never let liverpool down.The stick that he gets is totally unfair in my opinon.With mascherano obviously looking for a move showing no loyalty after liverpool took his career from the scrap heap at west ham, loyal committed players who want to improve and want to play for liverpool are what we need.

18. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Yossi, Javier and Fernando leaving? Gilberto, Murphy and Beattie coming in? At this rate I could be captain. A man can dream.
    10:26 PM Jul 17th via web

lol

19. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse
    Expand Collapse

What Lucs lacks in the skill, urgency and in the creative department, he tries to make up in determination and 100% effort.

However, he lacks genuine ability and if we're all honest with ourselves given the midfield combinations we could put out, Lucas wont get a look in.

Gerrard, Mash (possibly), Aquilani, Kuyt and Cole... along with Shelvey wanting to challenge for a first team place, and he is a good player to boot.... Lucas may get a run out at the start of the season, but there are better combinations that Hodgson can choose from in the midfield department.
    Jovanovic has also played out in the wide areas, and lets not forget about Ryan Babel who has alot to prove to everyone and himself this season.

If Mash stays with us, Lucas can only be cover for him...
    I hope to sweet Jaysus that only 1 defensive mid plays in most of our games...

2 def-mids with little/no creativity will get us nowhere again this season, particularly away from home... and with the attacking talent at our disposal, I cant see Hodgson playing 2 holding in midfield for any reasonable amount of games.

If Mash goes, Lucas may see a lot of game time, but it will only be down to RH not getting another def mid in.

Yes, LL was better last year, but that in itself was not hard to do considering the season he had prior to that, and the form the rest of our team were in last year.
    For me, he doesn't do enough on the pitch... the odd defence splitting pass every 30 or 40 games isn't enough, and he gives the ball away too easily at times.
    You can add to the above, his lack of urgency on the ball also.

I would start with this midfield v Arsenal...

Cole, Kuyt, Mash & Aqua/Gerrard

Gerrard/Jovanovic could become a 5th man when not on the ball, but I'd play him behind Torres/A.N. Other from the off.

Lucas this season will see alot of bench time, and sub appearances if Mash stays.

20. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse
    Expand Collapse

Is it really a load of bull?

I and others can only judge Lucas on what we've seen so far... not what he could become. Lets be fair here, he aint ever gonna be a world beater, nor is it likely he'll become a key player for LFC.

He's a squad player at best, with limited ability.

Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Essien, Lampard, Mikel, Huddlestone, Jenas, Fabregas, Denilson, Diaby, Barry, De Jong, Petrov, Sidwell....

All of the above are from the 6 teams who finished ahead of us last year... can you honestly say that Lucas would get into any of the teams ahead of those players???

We could add in Arteta, Cahill, Ferguson and Larsson who finished in teams below us.... I dont think he'd get a game ahead of those guys either.

Hence I don't think it's bull.
    They all offer something greater than Lucas could.

I'm not having a go at Lucas, I just don't think he's good enough to get a starting spot in our team this coming season. Certainly nothing like the run outs Rafa afforded him last year.

#720 CrazyHorse, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010