This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General (non LFC chat) Football Chat.

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

If Heskey looks a little a closer to home he will see Robbie Fowler had to go to Perth to get a gig. Other than Fowler only Gerrard from the 2001 is working in management in a league of any standing (if you count Scotland). The likes of Sami and Babbel with their multiple languages are with teams I never heard off.

The other black players in that squad are all in management having gone straight in with the team they finished playing with. Interestingly Sinima Pongolle is still playing, currently 14th in the Thai Premier league.

Heskey probably has a point about black managers but it's not the reason he isn't managing. The white guys he refers too were leaders, they fulfilled all the potential and still have the drive, he was quiet and timid and often got pushed around by lads half his size, in terms of potential he never got near to reaching his and as for not having his badges that's a joke for anyone that wants into management.

Stevie S, GaryMc and redabbey like this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Out of curiosity,has anybody got an example of a black ex player who they think would have better coaching options available to them if they were white? Heskey doesn't strike me as management material but I cant think of anyone who I think is being discriminated against because they're black,yet the numbers destroy the idea that it's not an issue and theres the main problem right there. Realistically it can't be possible that my brain isn't showing an unconscious bias towards white ex players. That's where I see the benefit of the Rooney Rule but I dont think the nature of football management as it stands lends itself to it.

3. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Reports John Stones is out for five weeks after picking up a muscle injury in training this morning.

4. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Really wish we were playing City this weekend.

Niall likes this.
  5. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

That will force them into playing Fernandinho there, which actually might actually be a good thing for them

6. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

On the other hand, if he's playing CB and makes his usual 27 fouls per game, should eventually see a peno

Skintown Red likes this.
  7. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

They’ve got Everton, wolves and palace coming up. Not great opposition but try do have some good attacking players who could take advantage of their defensive crisis

8. steve_r

steve_r
    Expand Collapse

I think Rodhri will sit in front of him and do the fouling. Generally City defenders don't do the niggly fowls, that's done by the mids and forwards.

They are a machine - not much hope for injuries causing a major slowdown.

9. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Dunno mate, leopards and their spots and all that. You're correct about the midfield being the ones that commit all those "tactical" fouls that Pep doesn't think happen, but no matter what kind of a genius Pep is supposed to be, Fernadinho has made his career firstly admittedly by being a very good DM, but thats coupled with a "thou shalt not pass" attitude and lots of little fouls.
    Opposition teams have to get onto the CB's firstly but the bottom line is Fernadinho and Ottemendi as a pairing wouldn't make most PL teams as the starting pair defensively, and City;s game leans a lot on the back-line being able to play and carry the ball out and they are weaker because of their injury problems.
    The hope would be that teams will identify that and have a better go at City rather than sitting back and hoping not to get battered too badly.

ROCCO, steve_r and Liverpool-law like this.
  10. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

11. steve_r

steve_r
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I absolutely hope so - I'm just down on the chances of it happening. Last season they lost KdeB who had been integral to the style of play and they adopted brilliantly. Pep is just so good at managing these types of issues (at least in a domestic context)

I think the bigger issue is that lots of PL teams don't even try and compete with them - look at the damage an injury hit Norwich did with a genuine gameplan, and look at the stroll in the park City had against West ham and Bournmouth

12. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

13. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

PC brigade gone mad

liverpool4life likes this.
  14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

As a Liverpool fan I hope he's banned for the season, absolutely outrageous behaviour. As a neutral observer this appears to be quite ridiculous.

Beanokelly likes this.
  15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That can't be how it works mate and I say that as somebody who you'd have to dig very deep to find a joke that I'd find offensive. Twitter is a public platform,footballers have a bigger reach than most and the target of his tweet doesn't get to decide if anybody else is allowed to be offended by the racial connotations in the tweet. It's like saying the open letter the Inter ultras sent to Lukaku had fuck all to do with anybody else as long as he was willing to accept their reasoning. That's not a comparison of the content by the way(that letter was vile and Silvas tweet was a joke) but a comparison of the principle. Whether its racist or not though it was really fuckin stupid,especially in the current climate. Somebody at the club should introduce him to WhatsApp.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  16. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

I often wonder who exactly are the people who get offended by some things. Everyone says "oh he shouldn't have said that" but I don't ever hear anyone say they're offended.

I've been told I look like the haribo kid, I've never been offended by that. I think we've evolved enough to be able to compare someone with brown skin to another character with brown skin.
    I don't know who exactly would be offended by it?
    Yes it was silly from silva to tweet it but it shouldn't be an issue in the slightest...

17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

and the whole of twitter.
    it's a load of bollox but someone in his position should know better.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Being compared to a haribo kid is not comparable to using a racial stereotype. Theres loads of people offended,you posted kick it outs condemnation yourself and the world hasn't really struck me as a place lately where we've evolved on race issues,if anything I'd say we're regressing and complacency is not an option for the powers that be in football if they're serious about tackling the issue. I hope Silva gets no more than a slap on the wrist because it was obviously a joke and he wasn't trying to offend anybody but it's not realistic to expect it not to be an issue.

19. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Silva used a racial stereotype, he compared a team mate to a fictional character. Yes, racism from the stands needs to be stopped and any racial abuse given from one player to another on the pitch etc... but in my opinion this should be taken for what it is, a bit of fun between mates.
    As I said, Silva shouldn't have done it, for his own sake as much as anything else, to avoid all the drama... I just don't get the drama, it's so far from racism...

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That fictional character is the racial stereotype. The company has had to remove the spear from his hand,in Spain,a country not renowned for racial sensitivity. If a semi naked black character with big red lips and a spear isn't a racial stereotype then I dont know what is. But this has to be an issue because of the bigger picture mate. Tackling racism is about far more than just stopping it in it's more overt forms,you have to address things that embolden racism,including situations like this. Theres a previous video where Mendy is wearing a black T-Shirt and Silva asking him why he's naked. Again a joke but when you take that and the fact he was bewildered he was being criticised for his tweet then you see he lacks a bit of awareness. There cant be many PL footballers who dont realise sharing things like that with the wider public is going to cause offence.

People whinge about political correctness but it was a big factor in making overt racism much rarer in society,and addressing things like this much lower down the scale was a part of that. Then a war on political correctness gains huge traction and racism is on the rise again,it cant be a coincidence.

Liverpool-law likes this.