This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What position will LFC end the season in..?

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Aug 13, 2017.

?

What position will LFC end the season in..?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2017.
  1. Winners

7.5%
  2. 2nd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3rd

20.0%
  4. 4th

22.5%
  5. 5th

20.0%
  6. 6th

20.0%
  7. Below 6th

10.0%
  1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

6th would be as bad as I might see it getting, that would put every team with a better squad than ours ahead of us and then Spurs too, any lower than 6th and we have underperformed. We might have a run at 4th in fairness but I'd be surprised if our squad can maintain a genuine run with the increased workload. Our backup players are not top half of the table players, if we rely on them regularly in the league lower than 6th becomes an expectation.

2. Anfield Old Boys

Anfield Old Boys
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I have the same concerns about the overall strength of the squad. Right now we've spent a net 30m this window and were facing into four competitions this year. If we get through against Hoffenheim the CL will place a large strain on our squad. When the injuries start, and it is inevitable that they will, our back up options are poor. I went for 4th which I feel will be an achievement if we don't strengthen the squad further.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

At the moment its the same defenders and goalie as last season(76 points) plus Robertson and a TAA not far off pushing Clyne for that right back spot.We're stronger in attack with Salah and Solanke is an extra option,won't be losing Mane for the AFCON and I really think we'll see at least one arrival before the window closes.Coutinho is nailed on staying for me.One of the teams that finished below us is stronger (Im not including teams like Everton because if they're above us the season has imploded)but one of the teams that finished above us haven't got what was a very big advantage for them last year (Spurs and White Hart Lane)and there seems to be an element of unrest in their dressing room at the moment.

Chelsea will very likely not be as good as they were last season either if not in terms of the squad,certainly in terms of performance levels as their run was incredible.Arsenal could struggle with the Europa League its a new experience for them,and their best player is desperate to get out too with a much better chance of achieving that goal than Coutinho imo_On the other hand we have european football to contend with and a squad that still looks light on numbers.The things we can't predict will be important for us,mainly how injuries effect us and other teams.This week has already shown how lucky Chelsea were last season,no Hazard,Cahill or Fabregas for their next match and the squad looks very light,we'll need to do better with our injury situation.I think we'll get in the top 4,once you're in it momentum at the right time can see you in any of those 4 positions.As Neil Atkinson always says,a team that gets 76 points can easily get 86 or 66 depending on the circumstances.

redabbey and Niall like this.
  4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I love the optimism Babbs and commend you for it.. but seriously mate, it's a bit of a stretch when you talk about our defensive line up :)

You talk about our defenders being the same as last season (76 points), but you forget their defensive record of last season where we leaked 40 goals (or possibly just over) and that put us with the worst defensive record in the Top 4 by quite a distance. From memory, I think both Chavs and Spurs had only conceded in the low 20s, to illustrate our defensive weakness.

Then you go on to mention TAA and Robertson. Sure, TAA has shown some promise, but your reference to him possibly pushing Clyne seems to be in part because many feel that Clyne has also regressed a bit (I'm not sure myself but anyway). Robertson cannot be anything more than an uncertainty, given he played regularly for Hull last season and they had the worst defensive record in the PL.

Then throw into the mix the extra games our defenders will have to play and ask yourself if the risk of injury to them increases, risk of getting sent off and missing games, risk of losing form applies - the more games, the greater the risk of all of these imho.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will be better in attack (assuming we don't lose Coutinho). Salah is off to a great start, while Solanke may prove the surprise of the season. On this, and things like injuries I think we agree while I'd also suspect we are both on our hands and knees praying for new signings before the end of this window.

Perhaps I'm overly negative and if so, I guess then at least it gives a bit of balance to what I see as you being overly positive about our defensive set up :) :D

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We did have the same defenders last season Garrett and we did get 76 points conceding however many we conceded,Im not sure where what I said there is a stretch mate? We weren't good enough defensively last season and I want us to be better this season but nothing Im saying there is untrue.Even with the extra games we'll be very unlucky if Lovren and Matip aren't fit enough to start more than the 17 league games they did last season (of which we only lost one),we do have genuine back up at right back now,Milner will still be Milner and Robertson should get up to speed soon.Plus being better in attack and killing off teams earlier can relieve some of the pressure on the back 4.The rules haven't changed though mate,scoring more goals than the other team still gets you the points and we look more equipped to do that this season than we were last plus I still think we'll see an arrival or two.There's plenty to be optimistic about.

Niall, redabbey and Colm75 like this.
  6. walterwhite

walterwhite
    Expand Collapse

Maybe its just the Watford hangover but I think we might only scrape 4th the defense the last 2 games have been a disaster but we do seem to score lots when the front 3 turn it on. Could have been a lot more positive outlook if we managed to hold on those final few minutes. Hopefully we get 1 or 2 in, the nervousness in defense disappears and we push on

7. DARREN26

DARREN26
    Expand Collapse

Il wait till after window closes but if no more signings and FSG still there il be very surprised if we finish in top 6

8. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Bump.

Skintown Red, babbsnads and LFCRebel like this.
  9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Very pleased to have been one place off in my prediction!

10. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

3rd? :)

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You can kind of understand why the more pessimistic lads would have said 6th,but 4 votes for below 6th??? Who the fuck below 6th was going to finish above us?

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't there some trepidation before the season started that the toffees were after making unbelievable signings? Below 6th never seemed possible but I think the whole Coutinho mess had people a bit flat over the summer.

13. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

And you also said Arsenal were certain of top 4 so don't go patting yourself on the back too soon Ed!

Dub13 and Skintown Red like this.
  14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

But I couldn't give a flying fu*k what ultimately happened Arsenal so I'm not counting that! :)

15. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

16. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Bad finishing position for agendas :D

Stevie S, Fran74, Dub13 and 2 others like this.
  17. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

voted for 4th, really prop should have been at least 3rd in the end only we had other things on our mind. With champions league run its been a successful season. 25 points of city is huge however. They haven't let up at all even when they won it.

Garrett likes this.
  18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Yup.

While City achieved a PL record (so may not get as many points next year), I think we still have to look at it in terms of trying to close a 15-25 point gap.

We need a good transfer window this summer to help the first team and the bench...

19. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Exactly , 90 points will win it next year I would predict. Cant see them repeating this year again and been as good.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's certainly a big ask to get them to do it again - but that said, you can be sure they'll be bringing in some more talent this summer, given they will be desperate to do better in the CL next season, and that might help them in the PL too.

Pfoley likes this.