This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Still a massive achievement Paul, a huge difference in the temperatures Sunday in the West of Ireland and on the South Coast of England. I am sure you took on lots of fluids. Barcelona marathon in March 2018 might be a good course for you if you wanted to do another one.

2. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I have Barcelona on my list alright. It was the hottest day so far in the UK yesterday with some places hitting 25. A 10 degree difference in Brighton today from yesterday, if only that weather had of been a day earlier...:mad:

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I've a friend who's gotten big into Triathalons and he's training with a heartrate monitor all the time now because over the course of the day he needs to keep his heartrate in a very specific rate or he'll burn himself out way too early in the race. I'm no expert and I remember something about it after the Dublin marathon last year but apparently there's hundreds of factors at play on any given day (the heat on the day in question being a big one) and the only true rate that you can rely on is the heartrate as it's an indication of the bodies reaction to everything that is going on. Your intuition was obviously telling you the same thing but just might be worth considering especially if you're going to places with much higher temperatures than what you'd ordinarily train in.

Congratulations on completing it, something injuries will never allow me to achieve unfortunately but the dedication of anyone who does make it is very impressive.

Dub13 likes this.
  4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

My Garmin died today, may it RIP. :(

5. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing worse. I love the data they give.

6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Dug out an old polar watch that i have a few years so using that now, doesn't give any mile splits but sure that's not the end of the world.
    Was convinced i only had the Garmin just over a year but i actually have it almost 3 years, still thought i would've got longer than that out of it.

7. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

From time to time sports direct have good sales for watches.

8. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Signed up for cork last week. Have been training for a few months but have only ran one marathon so still very much an unknown. Anyone here do it? Is it a tough course?

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Have you been training for a few months generally or training for cork specifically?

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Doing the Virgin 10k this avo. something to blow the cobwebs off that shit show earlier

11. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Training in general. I'd a spring marathon on my radar initially at turn of year, but realised in Feb I needed a bit more time.

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

You've a few weeks extra to prepare so should be ok but i remember a couple of years back I was ticking over and decided about 3-4 weeks out to do the Belfast marathon and it was honestly my worst marathon experience, learned a valuable lesson that day, did a 20 miler 3 weeks out and thought i was good to go. :eek:

megager likes this.
  13. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Sunday is my long run day. Today was not great. I found it toughand to be honest a struggle.

I ran 22.7 miles last week with a bit of a climb and felt grand. But today felt wiped after an 18.7 miler, flat. I did a 10 mile yesterday with 3 miles quick tempo and 3 medium tempo so I hope it was that, but still a bit of a set back confidence wise. Pace of both the long runs was similar but level of pain today higher. Maybe it was the wind, I'm hoping so anyway.

We go again.....

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

What sort of pace did you do those long runs at @megager if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm no expert but any training programme/book I've read/followed would never have any speed work the day before a long run, probably a 5-6 mile slow/recovery run but that'd be it. Those faster miles you did Saturday would've certainly taken from your long run yesterday.

15. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yep, you are right Willie. I find the same if I do a park run. I'd stopped doing them with lsr in mind, but work last week was crazy and didn't get any fast ones in so said I'd chance it.

Did long runs at about 8/just over minute mile pace, hoping to be able do a little quicker in cork, maybe 7:50 all going well.

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Are you following a programme @megager ? Just a suggestion but it'd be no harm to slow the long run pace down a little to about 8:40/8:50 pace and maybe throw a few marathon pace miles in at the back end.
    Best of luck with the rest of your training and I hope cork goes well for you.

megager likes this.
  17. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thanks mate and I'll do that on the long runs. Ive probably been edging a bit closer to marathon pace than I should on those long runs to be honest, I tend to get a bit carried away. I'm half following a programme from last year. To be honest a lot I'd tailored around when I can get time to run. Hopefully I won't leave myself short on the day.

Have you any races on the horizon?

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Doing the Liverpool marathon at the end of this month.

Dub13, GaryMc and megager like this.
  19. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Fantastic. Best of luck mate

SUPERFAN likes this.
  20. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Good luck, what kind of numbers does that get and whats the course like...?