This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Emre Can

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Garrett, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Very inconsistent at the moment, good against the Mancs and brutal today. Maybe the injuries this season have taken too much out of him. Still has potential but needs to pick it up.

2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Team playing exceptionally well for months without him and poor with him. Harsh however limited with LFC are the attacking force, decent when backs against the wall.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Can showed more promise earlier on before the injuries... since he's come back, he's yet to show any real consistency anywhere near the level he previously played at - time needed on the pitch perhaps ? ... My feeling is to point towards Lovern as an example of where Klopp beleived in the player so stuck with him and feel that he's also going to stick with Can and see if he comes good with more game time (which I really hope he does, as I once saw him being a very serious player for us and pray he still will be)

4. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Seen a few people on the Twitter saying that he's stalling on a new contract because he thinks he's worth more than we are offering. James Pearce said it in a Q&A today apparently.

5. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

Probably not the greatest of times for Emre to be negotiating a new deal.

Garrett likes this.
  6. petevans

petevans
    Expand Collapse

Interesting discussion about Emre Can on Off The Ball last week between Kevin Kilbane and Kenny Cunningham. Kilbane was full of praise for Can saying he was very impressed by him thus far (particularly his build and his pace) - Cunningham's view was he was a decent enough player but definitely not good enough to be in Liverpool's best 11, he made the comment that while he was quick when he got going, he doesnt suit Liverpool's style of play in that he generally slows the pace of the game down and he seems to 'have the parachute out' over the first couple of yards.

Personally I'd agree with Kenny's view.

Dub13 likes this.
  7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Very true - but hey, it's the transfer window, so a great time for distracting all the fans with talk of various players contracts being negotiated etc. :(

8. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You are consistent

9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for noticing ;)

Apparently Can's contract is up in June 2018, so it's clear we have to nail something down over the next couple of months, otherwise look at selling him in the summer while we can still get something back for him in terms of a fee. That said, if the player doesn't want to move, he can dig in and run down the last year of his contract and the head off on a free - something I'd hate to see him do and have happen, but it is his right I suppose.

Must admit, looking at the situation right now, I think he'd be better off signing a bit of an extension on whatever payrise is on offer, then work his a$$ off for 6-12 months and go back asking for more dosh... that gives everyone time and puts him in a better negotiating position because he ain't at his best right now, so hard to support him claiming particularly high wages.

10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You joked back at me last July when I questioned a twitter message saying that Can would be signing a new deal immediately and asked me had I ever heard of DHL or FedEx which could get the documents to him proto even though he was on holidays.

Maybe he wants out, maybe not. But if there is a significant offer of an increased package to the player available it should not be an open ended offer. I don't see it in the interests of the player to run down his contract. It will be either sign or leave in the summer. Can is a player that I have had massive hopes for, I still have and hope that he will sign a new contract, but I'd also speculate that a contract on the table would be very lucrative to the player, but that does not mean that an even more lucrative contract should be offered.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Your memory is a little better than mine on this occassion Lionel, as I do recall making some comment along those lines but couldn't swear it was in relation to Can (not that I doubt you btw).

Personally, I doubt he really wants out of LFC and like you, I still have high hopes for him. In times past, I was flying the flag for him in a big way, but since he's come back from injury he's been far from at his best on many occassions. Hopefully it's something that will sort itself out over a bit of time, but my point was that I figure under the current circumstances he'd be best off to accept whats on offer now then prove himself worthy of a higher wage and then seek to renegotiate from a position of strength in 6-12 months time. If a player is good enough, then they should get an annual payrise in my view - because if we won't want to pay them what they are worth, then you can be sure someone else will and that means we end up losing the player on most occassions.

Seeing as you are willing to speculate a little on this one, care to hazard a guess as to what the figure on offer from LFC might be ? ... just for fun, I'd suggest they are offering him in the region of £65k - £70k pw. which might be a notable improvement on what he's currently on, but probably pi$$ing him off because he suspects the likes of Coutinho will be getitng a lot more, while Sturridge is sitting on the bench every week and getting £140k pw or whatever it is.

12. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I'd say most players now looking for circa100-150k to sign contract extensions. Is Can worth that based on what he has shown so far. We have to remember too there was a time that sort if salary was reserved for premium players, but now it seems commonplace for most first reamers at top sides it seems.

Garrett likes this.
  13. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Playing poorly at the moment but he's a player who looks to have huge potential. Still very young, hopefully he'll fulfill his potential with us.

Stevie S likes this.
  14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I'd say thats bang on, in terms of what sort of money he's expecting and the question being asked at the club based on his performances since he returned to regular football....

That said, I don't blame him for trying to get the most money he can in a contract negotiation and also, when he looks at what Sturridge is getting paid for keeping the bench warm most weeks, or Sakho is getting paid to stay away from Anfield etc. Then there's the salaries elsewhere in the PL because as you say, I also think £100k-£150k is the going rate for the steady eddies at the lager clubs (not to be confussed with the better performers who are no doubt on 150-250k pw) and that figure must be getting pushed upwards, when the players and their agents see how much income the clubs are generating these days.

15. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Not sure those are the best examples for him to base himself off. At the time Sturridge signed his deal he was playing when he was fit and scoring nearly every time he played and when Sakho signed he was embedded into the team and looking like he was going to be our number 1 centre half.

I think most of Emre Can's claim for a big contract at the moment is based on the player he could be rather than the player he currently is. That said I hope we tie him down so we can see how he develops.

16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Please don't get me wrong mate, I'm not saying the are the most appropriate examples, just as I'd not say that he should be getting £150k pw just because we've just signed a new deal with Coutinho on that money, but I'd say Can's just like most of us.. he's gonna want the very best he can get and also, probably has a high opinion of his value to the club. Unfortunitely, he's not been delivering at the £150k pw level for us on the pitch....

Phil! likes this.
  17. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Agreed he hasn't being delivered the performances you'd expect from someone with those wages particularly since we've set the bar of what we expect with giving Couthino that deal/ I'm sure even Emre Can knows there is a level between him and Phil and he has a bit of work to do to get there.

18. connealt

connealt
    Expand Collapse

Was it just me or did anyone else think he didn't even break a sweat this evening. Spent the night walking around the pitch, not making himself available or seeming to want to make things happen.

19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Jamie Carragher just said he plays defensive midfielder or doesn't play. Got to agree with him, Henderson is currently better than him but I think Emre has the potential to be way beyond what Henderson is capable off. Henderson does some things well but teams let him have the ball and he just doesn't hurt them.

20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Played every game recently and was decent against United and that's about it.